Repairing holes in a plastic yak ?

Before I go and use the wrong stuff, can anyone tell me what the best glue, mastic, caulking or whatever to use to seal/close a couple of small holes, (1/8" dia.)in a plastic yak.

I sent an e-mail off to Ocean Kayak, (which the yak is), but they have not responded yet.

I was thinking of using Marine Goo.

Thanks in advance,

JackL

Plastic repair
Might want to take a gander of this site to see if it will take care of your problem:

www.kayaking.peak.org/public_html/how_to/boat_repair.html

Stay safe on the water

Plastic Repair
When i changed the footpegs in my kayak, the manufacturer sent me repair stick which you heat up to fill the hole. Same material as the boat.

Repair plastic sticks
As previously mentioned get your hands on the little strawlike pieces of plastic the manufacturer provides or have never done it but maybe a dab from a hot glue gun. I think I would place a piece of tape backing if the hole was very big and needed a little support on the backside to catch the glue or plastic straws.

Brian

Welding rods
OK sent me some welding rods when I discovered a couple of pinholes in the scuppers. Very easy to repair. Heat up the welding rod and a spoon until it is red hot, then smoosh the welding rod into and over the exisiting holes. Just don’t hold the red hot spoon in one place too long or you’ll have a new hole to fix. When it cools trim the excess. Works great.

Plugging holes
If the plastic welding straws don’t come through, another thought might be, 1/8 screws or nuts and bolts with a little something to keep water out, unless the location forbids this method.

Brian

Repairs
I’ve been told by someone how does repairs that plastic welding is the only real answer.

Just melt a milk jug!!!

– Last Updated: Jul-28-04 4:33 PM EST –

Won't be a color match, but will melt in and become part of the single huge molecule (interesting thing about this long chain cross-linked polymer - the whole boat is one giant molecule!) of polypropylene if the weld is good.

If you're picky, look around for a similar color drink bottle or other PP item.

Look for the recycling symbol molded in. there's a number inside the triangle of arrows. "5" is Polypropylene.

http://www.recycle.net/Plastic/index.html

Another way to get perfect match plastic is to take some off some non-critical are of the boat (inside hatch/cockpit rims, etc.) if the design has any areas with some extra flange. Doesn't take much to do small holes. Example:

I used to save the little corkscrew bits from drilling holes to mount hardware. If I ever needed to relocate something and plug the old holes I stuck one of these spirals of PP in, lit the end like a fuse and let it burn until it melted flush (repeat as needed to fill) and mash it smooth with a cool piece of metal (knife blade, etc.). Once cool, trim flush with sharp blade as needed.

This is how we repair damaged boats
when we’re on the water (Actually, we land to do the repair). It’s quick, easy, and works.

My repair kit consists of rudder cables, cable connection parts, a Leatherman, a piece of plastic milk carton, and a lighter.