Replacing Kayak Seats?

I spend a lot of time camping at the local beach campgrounds from April-October. I’ve always seen people kayaking and it intrigued me. I had zero experience in anything like this.

At the beginning of August I bought 2 kayaks at a garage sale. I got 2 kayaks, 2 oars, 2 basic life vests and 2 sets of car carriers for $500. It seemed like a good deal so I jumped on it.

I only got to use them about 3 or 4 times for about an hour at a time. I enjoyed my time on the water but the seat could definitely use an upgrade. I’m open to suggestions.

I am 95% certain these these are the kayaks I bought. It looks the same, the length is the same and whatever is left of the decals on the kayaks matches up. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4002650&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:4002650:7250675:WATERSPORTS-&gsidynamic=GooglePLA--WATERSPORTS--WATERSPORTS-_-SKU-7250675

I’m using these in the Great South Bay or Long Island Sound. I don’t plan on getting too serious or fish from them. I just plan on doing a little paddling, exploring the shore a bit, have a bite to eat on the water and just relax out there. Nothing too crazy.

Any seat suggestions for this kayak?

A couple of basics
1) Re seats, the best position for your back is to be as erect as possible and to rely on your core muscles for support. The back-leaning “barcalounger” position is just a backache and sciatica waiting to happen. If you are talking about putting in a seat that would allow you to lounge like that, don’t.

Perhaps if you described what is wrong with the existing seats? Note that these are very inexpensive kayaks so switching out seats/backbands may not be in the cards.

2) Perception of paddling region - the Great South Bay is a VERY different set of paddling challenges from the LI Sound. Beginners don’t belong in the Sound, nor do rec boats like this. Stay in the Bay and learn some more about kayaking before going north.

What problems are you having with the
seat? Maybe adding or subtracting from the existing seat contours will solve the problem. Later, proper installation of a backband (bearing on the top of your pelvis, not on your lower back) may help you. What are you doing with your thighs, knees, and feet? Do you have adjustable foot braces? If not, on what do you rest the balls of your feet? I would prefer to have my knees splayed, against thigh braces or against pads under the cockpit rim.

If you haven’t done so already, find a good rec kayak dealer on Long Island. They may stock stuff for making seats more comfortable, or for knee and foot braces. You might consider getting some basic flotation for your kayaks, and upgrade your life jackets to something that permits more serious swimming.

Also, google rec kayak hear suppliers so you learn what’s available.

Thanks!
Thanks for the replies so far. I’m still VERY new to all of this and am learning as I go. I can’t say I’ve really gotten everything adjusted yet so I really should make time for that.

The current seat has little to no padding. It’s about as think as a magazine. I was hoping to get something with more padding.