Rescued! - Now Pay For It!

By the grace of…

sing

Just read a similar story. Guy was well prepared for anything that he would usually expect. Then there are the other times… one of those is waiting for all of us.

1 Like

On the other hand, a dear dear friend of mine, who had been a fellow wilderness guide instructor and acdtive in BSA trek leader training with me for more than 30 years died suddenly recently while hiking with his wife on an easy public trail near his home. He simply sat down unable go any further. Wife instantly called 911 at the FD that was less than a mile away. EMS worked on him to no avail. He was an active hiker in reasonable shape for a 75 yr old, and had had a routine EKG showing no issues just 6 weeks prior. Sad.

1 Like

I have not done any summits in the White Mountains since my 30s. I have been up in the Presidentials in May and found hip high snow on the trails in the upper levels. Used to carry small snow shoes with me.

These days I just hike in and “basecamp” near one of the trout river/streams in the lower elevations. From there, I do day excursions with the flyrod. Even then, I have a day pack with a small pad, fire starter, windbreaker, turkey jerky and a very lightweight emergency tarp. (T6Zero Emergency Shelter System – Coalcracker Bushcraft) But, I am aware that if I am not careful, I can just as easily (if not more likely to) drown in a river as I am to die of exposure.

By the grace of…

sing

1 Like

PS. Just saw on the news that the the three young guys from RI who were rescued this weekend were charged a total of $500 for their rescue. No complaints from them. They were happy to have been rescued, saying they were huddling together and still shaking and getting hypothermic. The video they have of their trip showed them with daypacks and street clothes (i.e. cotton jeans, shirts, etc).

sing