Respirators for paddling projects

I bought an AOSafety respirator back about '05 when I was doing a boat rehab. I use it when sanding fiberglass, applying West 105, and sanding or milling cedar.

I figured by this time maybe I should replace the cartridge. It’s ten or more years old, but I do these projects so infrequently the respiritor is younger in terms of usage.

Replacement cartridges for the respirator are priced at $70 on Amazon. I’m pretty sure I paid only around $30 when I bought the original respirator at the big box store.

This got me to thinking about respirators. The big boxes sell them for about $25. They seem to be sold in two varieties: for paint and for particles. What’s the deal? Will not one filter both?

What are you using?

~~Chip

I use the el cheapo throw away ones
when I use one.

I very seldom use one when I am working with epoxy, but when I am sanding as much as I hate them I will use one.

Jack L

dust vs. fume
The paint respirators also include a layer of something (probably activated charcoal)to absorb fumes.

Respirators are typically designed…
for wither particulate or vapour protection. Vapour protection respirators have an exposure life usually ratted in hours. Particulate versions generally function until clogged.

I do epoxy resin projects and spray DuraCoat finish on boats and other items. My exposure times are usually shorter as a hobbyist than a professional would experience. I use a hybrid respirator made by 3M called the Bodyman respirator. It has replaceable filters that are economical and do a pretty good job on both sanding dust and hobbyist level epoxy resin fumes. The part number is 7182 for the medium and 7183 for the large. The filters are number P100.

http://www.autorefinishsupply.com/3M-Bodyman-Respirator-Medium-p/7182.htm

http://www.autorefinishsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=7184&CartID=1

My bodymen used these in my body shop for years when sanding cars and applying small areas of catalyzed primer to body panels. You can get them locally at auto parts stores but they are usually more expensive. They are also available through Grainger Industrial Supply.

For vapour use keep the filters in a ziploc bag when not being used to extended the life of the charcoal element. When the vapour protection has expired they still make excellent particulate filters for sanding.

Simple answer

– Last Updated: Oct-27-15 11:38 AM EST –

If you can't smell anything while wearing the respirator, the cartridges are working fine.
And, one should always wear a respirator with organic vapor cartridges when working with epoxy, plus a dust filter if you're sanding.
Stay alive as long as you can.

MSD’s
read the MSD Material Safety Data sheets.

liquid particles and gas ?

slog thru

https://goo.gl/qPRPRl

I use a 3M 8271 (P95) useable for a very brief contact with paint fumes.

problem is there are fumes sticking to your body…running upwind holding breath is best.

or use a scuba air tank with regulator. No reason to filter air only breath clean air.

Had to glue down a D-ring
that came loose on my tandem boat last night before a trip today. Cleaned with MEK and glued it down with Vyna Bond. Only took a couple of minutes, but that MEK is nasty stuff. I need to get a respirator.

where is
the vynabond supplier ?

Alcohol was recommended by a dealer for Wenonah vinyl.

where is
the vynabond supplier ?

Alcohol was recommended by a dealer for Wenonah vinyl.

Alcohol is recommended
but i didn’t have any, so I used the MEK. Not sure where I got the Vyna Bond. I found a couple of cans in my supply box. I usually get stuff at NRS, but didn’t see it there today.

respirator
I’ve got a 3M 7500 series half-mask respirator. Use organic vapor cartridges for epoxy/solvent/adhesive work, particle filters for sanding. Better fit than disposables and the exhaust valve helps reduce the moisture buildup inside the mask.