Restoration help please

My husband purchased a dirt cheap canoe for me to work on as a new project last summer and when we got it, the guy had some half formed/melted cvc pipe on as gunwhales which we removed and found peices of fiberglass had broken off the edges where i assume the yoke use to be? Not sure Ive never seen a canoe in a shape quit like this so i was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction. I have posted pics of when i got it after sanding and then most recently after stipping it of damaged and what i believe was unnecessary additions to the canoe. Please let me know what steps you think i should take in tackling this new endeavor. Thank you in adavance!

Im also making new seats, i realize this is a motor canoe but i dont have much experience with them nor do i know what the gunwhale area should look like… Any advice greatly appreciated.

For the amount of money and time you are going to put into that canoe, you would be better off getting rid of it.
You can get decent ones on Craigs list for two hundred dollars.
I am working on a $25 fix-er-upper right now which is in much better shape than yours, and I already have $75 worth of material

Jack L

The money and time are not an issue it is the experience i enjoy which to me is worth it

I would cut off that gunwale flange, reinforce the cut edge as necessary then install wood gunwales inside and out. Then attach thwarts to the gunwales . There’s just too much fiberglass there.

@Overstreet said:
I would cut off that gunwale flange, reinforce the cut edge as necessary then install wood gunwales inside and out. Then attach thwarts to the gunwales . There’s just too much fiberglass there.

Thank you so much for some real advice i was losing hope on this thread.