Restoring a 17' pelican canoe, by elkay plastics

Hello, I have an early 1970’s model, Pelican canoe made by Eskay Plastics. I believe I can do most of what needs done,. But I need advice on some things.
I need to source the foam that had gone down the side of the canoe. It’s about 2 inches thick and 8 inches wide, and 12’ long. It’s black and I think it’s called closed cell.

The other major thing I need advice on is repairing the crack. It’s about the middle of the boat, and runs from the upper rail, and straight down towards the bottom . The boat is a type of polyethylene plastic .

Anyone here familiar with this boat and repairs ?

Your help is appreciated.

!

Good luck with that boat. Its best days are over.

In my personal opinion; that canoe is not worth the time, effort or cost of it’s repair. You would be better off seeking an inexpensive canoe to replace the Pelican.
It is basically worth nothing as is, and will be worth little to nothing after repairs.

Good luck,
BOB

Well it was a canoe my dad bought for us. I’d like to fix it.

I agree that if it didn’t have sentimental value, it is not worth fixing.

You may be able to use an epoxy for the fix, but I imagine it will crack again. Drill out the end of the crack and find something that will stick. You’ll need to get it clean first.

How about retaining some part of it and incorporating it into a new canoe? Let it live on and be remembered, but you can get something stronger and safer

You can buy closed cell foam from CLC, but it might be a good idea to get some nidacore to reinforce that crack. Maybe a heat gun and some poly welding rods will fix the crack itself. Make sure you know that the glue you use actually sticks before risking yourself or family in the thing, it looks dangerous.

no personal experience, but have heard plastic milk jugs can be melted to fix the crack. Personally, I use g-flex and glass for everything…even my garbage disposal drain pipe lol…

I agree with much of the below but as you note there is sentimental value so …

For the flotation see if you can find someone who has an old ensolite sleeping pad around somewhere. I have one & the remains for at least one other.

PBlanc has somewhere on here some notes on patching poly but I think that it involves G-Flex epoxy from West Systems & some fiberglass along with a torch. The torch is NOT to melt the plastic but to modify the surface somewhat so the epoxy will stick. I think that West has the procedure.

I understand its sentimental value. This was a fun family canoe and you can treasure the fond memories it carried you on. As a keepsake, I might repurpose it as a bookshelf, planter or garden decorator.

The “dad bought it for us” factor should have been pointed out in your first post.

BOB

1 Like