Restoring a family heirloom

When driving home from work a few years ago I noticed on the side of the road a canoe my dad & I made ( family business ) while I was in High School in the early 70’s. After my dad pass away my mom sold the molds. I kicked myself ever since for not making me a canoe when I had the chance. When I saw this canoe on the side of the road I knew I had to have it no matter what price. It was in pretty bad shape but I knew I could fix it . Here is a before photo. I should be done repairing and painting it in a few weeks.

1 Like

What was the name of the canoe line you sold under? How heavy is it and construction method?

Coconino. The layup was one layer of 1.5 oz mat and one layer woven roving. It also had three ribs. I added two more to get the warpage out of the bottom. It weighed around 70 pounds.

1 Like

Waiting on Zolatone paint now for the inside.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to take it out.

3 Likes

Gorgeous!

Wow!!

if it was on the side of the road, was it being thrown out ? how much did you have to pay for it ?
looks a nice craft :wink: :slight_smile:

What a cool story and the finished project is beautiful!

Nice work. The canoe looks great.

They had it in front of their house next to the road. I paid $185.00 for it.

1 Like

what did they say when you said you built it with your dad ? presuming you told them…

I asked them if they know anything about the canoe. Name , length & where it was made. They didn’t know anything about it other then it handles great on the water. I told them my dad & I made it in the early 70’s and the history about it. They where happy it was going to a great home.

1 Like

in a way it has come home so long way round you made your canoe :wink: :slight_smile:

Beautiful! So have you thought about going into canoe refurbishment as a side gig? Bet there’d be a market for that.

I saw this and thought of you. Maybe they are not the same model. In any case yours is nicer.

My hobby is making and designing gas powered R/C boats.
It cost too much money to refurbish a canoe.

1 Like

As a business that is.