reviews of kayak trailers?

I have a Toyota Celica (hatchback) and an 18-foot kayak. No one makes racks for my car and I don’t want to buy a new car, so I am looking into getting a small trailer. I am thinking that a two-boat trailer would be more flexible in the longer-run and I’d like some room for a gear box. This site has some reviews for Magneta trailers but does anyone have suggestions/warnings about other trailers? I’d be particularly grateful for feedback on the Slick Rydr or Sportsrig trailers. Thanks!

Practice makes perfect
I don’t trailer my Kayak but I have had the pleasure of trailering a 21 foot Hydrosport and a much smaller 12ft Sears Gamefisher. If you are planning to often back your car up to the place where you shove off, prepare to practice doing it witha trailer. It took me some time to get it right, it’s not always as easy as it looks.

Always do checks and make sure all the lights are working, and remember most states make you register your trailer, it’s never more then 20 dollars in most places, but it is another bill. Most trailers are built really well out of galvinized metal and many out last their boats! But rollers, tires, lights, all these things need to be checked and maintained.

Also make sure if you don’t have a hitch on your car that you get a decent one from a good company for your car. Many can be done by yourself, or some places will do it for you and weld it on.

She might not need a hitch
For the trailers she mentioned, a bumper-mounted ball would be adequate. The question is, can she put a ball on the Celica’s bumper? Most smaller cars made in the last 20 or so years have molded bumpers rather than truck-type ones.

Sportsrig
I have been using a Sportsrig for over 3 years now and it is without question the best trailer for kayaks and similar light loads available. See my review in the product reviews section for a detailed analysis.

Regards,

Bill

converted truck box trailer
I use a small truck box convert - has a great suspension and real tires and bearings. You also gain the advantage of a utility trailer that can carry gear.