Revisiting the Toksook

Since dislocating my shoulder a couple months back I have been trying out new gear to find what works. The high angle stuff is out and I decided to order a Toksook again. The paddle is now Lendal compatible. I tested it out briefly on Friday and think it will work for me. I get a lot of brace support, more than with my GP. Those ocean cockpits which I never really minded are now instruments of torture exitting, even wet exitting :+)

really???
I have used MANY paddles in my dayz but this one is the…well…let’s just say I didn’t care for it. especially compared with a well designed/crafted GP.

clumsy, heavy, long and what’s up with the 90 degrees?

I have a video of one snapping on a brace for NO obvious reason.

sorry but I had to throw 2 centavos at ya.

steve

Now Lendal compatible
used it unfeathered and at 60 deg on a 214 Lendal shaft and have a 200 switch lock on order also. Yeah the 230 90 deg thing was pretty lousy. The 214 is pretty long ( actually about 224) but will work in the Klepper A2 better than a twig and can be used with Lendal blades. What I wanted was a solid low angle 4 piece for travel. Yes it is heavy but on a weak shoulder, the support feels good.

toksook
Went out today expecting choppy windy conditions…had my choce of several paddles…I grabbed the Toksook. I usually look at it as my rough weather paddle.

It’s a 240 which can be set straight or at 90 feathered. sometimes I think of adding a feather for about 45 but don’t want to fill it full of holes. Today I used it set straight, worked fine it was fun to be using it again…besides it’s the one I learned how to roll with and used that as a method of learning how to roll with the other paddles.

Sometimes I just get tired of using the fancy ultra light feathered paddles. Seems on the windy days I spend just as much effort trying to keep the wind from snatching them out of your hands

waterdoc likes a tooksook, it seems.
http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1136

I got a Lendel four piece at Geneva Kayak today (outside Chicago with Bruce) and it’ll serve me well in the FC JS SOT–I hope to try it this upcoming week.

I see D Hutchinson, creator, using it in the Beyond the Cockpit DVD. You gotta learn to do that flippy thing down the forearm with it like DH, and then the edge with the hat tipping to the crowd on shore. That is all part of teh Tooksok magic.

Don’t need a Toksook for that
http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u153/tsunamichuck/?action=view&current=chuckie104.flv

Tried it with the Toksook; ok on my left; still hurts a bit on the right.

Haven’t used it in a couple of years

– Last Updated: Apr-15-07 8:38 AM EST –

I graduated to a stick about two years ago and have been using that ever since.

Still, it does give an awful lot of support when the water gets a lot of texture to it and it is an easy paddle to roll with.

The 90 degree feather on mine is easy to deal with as long as you raise your forearm and don't try to control it with your wrist.

TSC, you’re da man! That is a sweet…
…vid. You have vids and pics for everything. Nice, my friend, wicked nice.

The shaft has always been made by
Lendal. The blades are made by somebody else.

But they were not compatible
with the other Lendal shafts.

Did a D Hutchinson clinic
a few years ago and tried his paddle. Didn’t care for it at all. However, I got the impression that he felt the same way about the bent shaft paddle that I was using (he didn’t say so but he did ask why I choose to use a bent shaft paddle).

At the same clinic, while going through the drills, I flipped and rolled back up (going over further and further while practicing the high brace) After rounding up the group he took the occasion to tell the group that I had only flipped to demonstrate that I could roll. I found this a bit insulting, but out of respect for him I kept quite. I’d been taught previous to that that if you’re not “failing” periodically then you’re not pushing the envelope on your personal skills and therefore not learning as quickly as you could be. I believe this to be true.

Anyway, I guess I’ve gotten off the original subject.

Overall I did enjoy his clinic (but not his paddle :-).

Bob

-------------------------

I have used MANY paddles in my dayz but this one is the…well…let’s just say I didn’t care for it. especially compared with a well designed/crafted GP.

clumsy, heavy, long and what’s up with the 90 degrees?

I have a video of one snapping on a brace for NO obvious reason.

sorry but I had to throw 2 centavos at ya.

steve

Derek loves to yank peoples chains
I love my 240 90 degree feathered Tooksook. It’s my primary paddle, the only thing I don’t use it for is racing.