RIG canoes.

hi all

would be nice to see some RIG canoes ready to go fishing.

some riging ideals etc.

thnaks.

joco

No pictures, but
I’ve an anchor trolley on my solo canoe. It runs under the gunwale. Actually, its for two trolley’s, one for the front, another for the back. You could use padeyes attached to the gunwales if, like mine, your canoe has vinyl gunwales. I did it quick to see if it would work, used cable ties and metal rings. It worked and I haven’t changed.

For my rod holder’s…both are Scotty holders…I took a 1x6, treated because that’s what I had, and a narrower 1x, mounted the holders and the mount for my Eagle Cuda 168 fish finder on the 1x6, drilled holes in the two 1x pieces, installed bolts with wingnuts, and clamped the mess to the gunwales. Its sort of a Johnny bar all for the price of two bolts, two wing nuts, and two large fender washers.

I also have a milk crate to which I’ve attached several pieces of PVC. The PVC acts as rod holders and a place to carry my landing net. The crate has stuff in it, usually my flow though minnow bucket in which I carry live bait.

Rigged Canoes
Here is a link to a site where I posted a few pics of my Shearwater. Look about 3/4 down the page. I also rigged up my Champlain in a similiar way, but the pulleys are mounted on the side, but the cam cleats are mounted the same way.

http://texasflyreport.com/forums/thread.aspx?id=103791

No pics 2
But I use a rail mounted rod holder on the thwart behind my seat. I have a small tackle bag that carries my lures, flies and spinners. A pvc rod holder like BryanM has in his pictures to hold a second rod. I use a drift sock for an anchor attached to the rear thwart with a quick release carabiner. A cooler behind my seat with cold drinks/snacks. A second cooler for my catch and a daypack in the bow that holds my essential gear like knives, firestarter kit, extra clothes, windjacket, etc. I also have my GPS mounted on the front thwart and my fishfinder screen is mounted there as well. It all comes out when it’s time to put the canoe up on the roof rack.

here are the Champlain Pics

– Last Updated: Apr-15-08 8:21 PM EST –

It is a bit different, but same idea. I like using small pulleys in the anchor line for two reasons: ease of deployment and stealth. I can work my way into the marsh, sneak up on tailing redfish, drop my anchors and site cast easily and quickly.

http://community.webshots.com/album/563114272oSjmhG?vhost=community

thanks
thanks guys.

i will be starting to rig my canoe this week.

today i sand it and will repaint it tomorwo.

john deer yellow…

should be finish soon to rig it will post pict.

joco

Canoe Fishing Outfitting

– Last Updated: Jun-10-11 2:30 PM EST –

The rod holder setup I use is shown here: http://www.loonislandoutdoors.com/Fishing/CanoeRodHolders.php

I don't have a pulley for the anchor, but that looks like a neat idea. All I've been using for an anchor is a mesh bag (usually an empty firewood bag) with some rocks in it and whatever rope is handy.

Re:anchors
The pulley cam cleat set up has worked real well for me, a lot of my fishing is on coastal marshes stalking and site casting to redfish that tend to be a bit spooky. The set up allows for a very stealthy deployment and a one hand retrieve to get the anchor up so the fish doesn’t wrap around the anchor line. The set up is very smooth, almost too smooth as I have lost a couple of anchors when I did try to anchor in water deeper than the length of my anchor line. The end of the line goes past my hand so fast I don’t even have a chance to grab it.

Put a knot in it
Put a knot in it! I had the same problem - but then I put a big knot at the end of the rope - makes for great last minute grabbing.

I thought of suggesting that . . .
But rethought it as if he’s in a current, he needs to be able to release it quickly if need be to get out of trouble. A knot would not allow this.

YoS

Most who fish the inshore coastal
waters gave a float and quick disconnect on their anchor lines. That helps when a big redfish or black drum takes the bait and you need to go for a sleigh ride. The water in the bays is seldom over three or four feet deep, except for holes and, unless there’s a tide or winds (always is a wind), there’s not much in the way of current, more like lake fishing. Bryan, though, as I recall from his posts on another site, does a lot of fly fishing so his anchor needs are different from bait chunkers.

Re:anchors
I have thought about a knot, but I want to be able to have a quick release if needed. Not that we have treacherous currents typically, some coastal passes get going pretty good, but the thought of a big gator tangled in my anchor line has crossed my mine a time or two when on the bayous.

Yak.Canfish (GreyLoon for the TKFer’s) is right, I mostly fly fish, but I am not above tossing some dead shrimp or cut bait, especially in the heat and a cooler full of Hefe Weizen during the summer, lol. My first love is the flyrod fo sure though.

The anchor trolly system works well, but I hate being blown around as the wind changes directions, which for me seems to be 360 degrees every 30 minutes. One anchor off the bow and one off the stern keeps me in one place.

Hey ya Jerry I am going to give you a call next time I am up in Kingwood visiting my Mum. I need a learning on catfishing!

Bryan, haven’t done too well on those

– Last Updated: Apr-22-08 11:31 PM EST –

catfish lately. The fronts are eating me alive. On my canoe, I use a double trolley. Your set up is probably smoother, but I'm able to double anchor...do the same with the kayak too. Ain't know fun swinging to and fro when trying to keep a tight line soaking bait. But, with the water warming, I'll start drift fishing soon. Cover more water that way. BTW, posted a photo of a huge Tilapia I caught in my cast net on L. Houston. If 'gills came that big, there's be no one red fishing who lived inland.

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89501