Rigging questions

As some may know from other forums I have come over to the darkside. Still have the old Hobie Adventure with the PA sail. I have added a Kaskazi Skua to the stable. This will open more territory for fishing since it’s fast and easy to paddle. There is a learning curve since the Skua is over a foot longer, with 5" less width and weighs half as much as the Hobie. On the bathroom scales it only weighs 44lbs. Lite for a 17’3" yak. It does have a permenent cockpit cover similar to the AR-X

Now for the questions

This yak is glass with epoxy paint and I have never drilled this stuff before. Is there a special technique or bit needed for drilling? Should some sort of backing be used instead of washers since this yak seems to be thin skinned. The carry handles are rivetted, maybe because of placement. I may want to put a small dayhatch right behind the seat. How about cutting? Router?

I will be placing pad eyes to add some webbing/bungee to strap stuff to the deck and adding at least one rod holder, too. Would also like to add a paddle keeper and maybe even a deck line as a sort of anchor trolly.

Any help would be appreciated and sorry for the long post

You may be able to see a couple of pictures and my first impressions of this yak at

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6786086413/m/3251024445

for rigging advice…

…contact diebold.

No joy
I’ve been looking at (drooling over) the Skua and couldn’t see your review. Can you report is here – or somewhere.

I’ve seen an ARX (new) for $1700 in FL, but these things seem pretty darn rare. Did you get to test paddle before you bought yours?

jim

Skua report
Sorry if the pics and graphics don’t come through, I cut and pasted this from a KFS.com. Also apoligize for the long winded review

After leaving before sunup today, I find myself near the Florida City/Homestead border at the almost world renown–author, pony tailed naturalist, photographer of all things wild (including bartenders), kayaker extraordinaire, fisherman-- Derelict residence.

The object of this foray through what can only be called Dangerous Dade is to pick up the new to me Kaskazi Skua AR. That’s right, what some would arguably call a real kayak. I still argue that my Hobie Adventure is one of the best suited --drinking-- fishing kayaks on the market even if it’s near 3 years old and doesn’t leak!!

First impression —what have I done—Looks light, fast and probably way tipsy, and that’s just looking at it on a picnic table while enjoying an early morning Kalik!! After a stroll around Luna’s hacienda, including the famed rat hunting grounds, pond with waterfall, small swamp with what looks like a real gator head and grounds that would make a dendrologist drool, the yak was loaded and on its way to my swamp house.

Second impression. I may be right. The Skua is a little over a foot longer with 5” less width than the Big A and weighs about half as much. This may be because the yak doesn’t have a gel coat finish. It can and was lifted and once on my shoulder, carried one hand on yak and other hand carried paddle and pfd. Once on the water you get in this yak. Technically, it is a sot complete with 2 scuppers. It has a deck cover that creates a cockpit very similar to a traditional kayak, complete with a lip so a spray skirt could be used. I felt like I would or could fall off this yak if I looked in the wrong direction. It sat kinda high in the water even with my–beer gut-- svelte highly tuned body. The specs say this yak has a weight capacity of 240kg whatever that means. Once under way, the stability seemed better. It seemed to glide so well I thought I might need a brake pedal. For my first time in the yak, no cameras or audience was allowed so there is absolutely no evidence that I got dunked several times. I guess it’s time to learn to brace and paddle a real yak.

Stay tuned for further impressions of the yak and my new Lendal paddle. Rigging of this yak for fishing may also take awhile since Kneedeep has left the area.

Part 2

Now on my second journey, I’m getting more comfortable. Did about 5 miles and didn’t fall out. The wind had me concerned, but the canal was not open water so off I went. Still getting comfortable in this speedster so I didn’t drink fish. It’s not rigged for fishing, yet.

Still feels tippy and crowded. I know Hank would have a problem.

Have I said this yak is fast? Had to keep the scupper plugged or the yak would fill withwater on a reverse paddle due to the venturi.

Did I say this yak was light? The boat sitting in on the water was barely in unless I sat in it.

Part 3

Got out before sun up and did the Margate loop consisting of a short stretch on the C-14, then a rectangle around the back yards of some of my neighbors. Interesting what you see behind open curtains This allowed for some unusual wind patterns for what wind there was, including a stretch with the wind being funneled right into head and tail winds that seemed to be higher than the actual open area wind speed.

I paddled with and without using the rudder. The yak paddles in a straight line with or without the rudder. I did notice that without the rudder there seemed to be an decrease in stability of the Skua. This may be due to the fact that I haven’t paddled a kayak much. There was some amount of weather cocking without the rudder but easy to correct with a stroke or two every so often. I almost had to use the rudder to turn as when I tried to lean, I almost always --fell out-- had to practice my recovery technique.

After a mile or two I felt more at ease and began to experiment with my paddle technique. At the 5 mile mark --hour and a half without a beer-- I decided the yak needed it first accessory. A Cantainer! 

I have weighed the yak on my digital bathroom scale. The weight is 44lbs wet with a little sand in the cockpit. I have to qualify this scale by saying it always shows I weigh a pound and a half more than the scales at the Winn Dixie when checked within 10 minutes. I do know that unlike the Adventure, I can and do just pick the yak up onto my shoulder and carry to waters edge. I balances right at the area where I sit.

Even after 2 years of yakking and almost 50 years of paddling a canoe I don’t feel that I can give an accurate report on the bent shaft Lendal with the fancy padlok system that allows for changing the blades. My other yak paddle is a Hobie. I’ll just give my comparison of the two.

The Hobie paddle is a full 8” longer and the blades have a greater curve than the Kinetic S 210mm. The shapes are similar with the Lendal being just a touch wider and longer. Not much, though. The Hobie paddle is a two piece aluminum shaft with a poly or plastic blade that weighs 2lb 9 oz. It’s tough, I use it as a push pole and a stake out pole. It does seem to vibrate in the water but that may just be me. The cost is around $80.

The Lendal is 4 pieces. It weighs 2lb 7oz. The carbon modified crank shaft is 2 and the nylon/carbon blades are the other 2. I went with the slightly heavier nylon/carbon blade since it appeared to be a little tougher than the glass or carbon blades. Cost less, too! The shaft is light and the blades give the sensation of being tip heavy. I like this. The advantage of the Lendal system being the ability to change styles of the blades without having to buy the whole paddle. Great for some one with a stable of different yaks This is probable a mid priced paddle if you take the cost of Luna’s Epic paddle into the cost equation.

Between the 2 paddles, I never seem to hit the side of either yak with the Lendal. May be because of the bent shaft that has an index for hand placement, but I don’t know.

Every time I pick up the Lendal I have an urge to find some fine imported Skullsplitter Scottish beer This may bump up the price of the Lendal in the long term. 

Since I’m certified unemployed, I’m off to --scrounge, beg and borrow rigging stuff-- look for a job!

The next adventure will be the Wilton manors loop of about 7 miles. It will be the first tidal water trip and may even include some fishing.

Part 4

Got on the water about 2 hours before a full moon high tide and decided to follow the tide and wind, As some may know, the Wilton Manor loop is just over 7.5 miles on the Middle river. This river varies from being a mangrove lined 30’wide “river” to a 200’wide sea walled canal. Only small skiff traffic due to the low bridges and shallow areas.

Wish I would have brought a rod, as several large fish were seen in the tannin colored water.

No major events, I didn’t practice re-entry or intentionally fall off today. As probably stated before, this yak is fast. It seems as long as I am moving I feel the stability is OK. Now after putting a few hours on the Skua, I am noticing some little things. Fishing from this kayak will take some creative rigging. The bow and stern bullheaded areas seem massive to me since I’m used to the Adventure. Would even be comfortable for a multi day camp trip using good backpacking skills. The hull is quiet at any angle to the wind waves I have encountered. I, even as a beginner to yak paddling can paddle without the rudder in all but the tightest places. If I ever get the hang of the lean turn, the Skua might not need the rudder at all for cruising. It will be necessary in a current while fishing, though. The scupper could probably be left closed due to the cover that has a lip like seen on sit in cockpits. Maybe carry a sponge for water from rain or in my case, paddle drip. If you get on this yak dry, stay out of the rain, use proper paddle technique and don’t fall off, chances are you will be dry when you exit. Not sure of the durability of the epoxy paint over the gel coat, but it has to be somewhat lighter.

I have read a couple of reviews of this kayak and done some research to compare it to other Kaskazi models. Since I have been a canoe paddler and recently a Hobie pedaler with only a bit of paddle experience the numbers don’t mean much to me. I have never even sat in a sit-in kayak. For those that need or want the spec’s, the Kaskazi web site has them. The following are my conversions to metric.

My Skua with permanent cockpit cover may be one of the first in the US.

Length 17’3” width just shy of 23” load capacity right at 353lbs

Weight on website almost 51lbs, mine weighed on bathroom scales is just under 44 lbs, the website also states that the seat on the Skua AR is ¾” higher than the sit in model.

I did get a chance to paddle the Marlin and liked everything about it except the price at the time. It is a bit shorter at 15’7”, a bit wider at 24.5” and has less capacity by about 45lbs. I would venture a guess that it may be a small bit heavier since it had gel coat. Might have been a better choice as a beginner but I am dedicated to becoming a better paddler this season by getting on the water 3 or 4 times a week until I have to get a real job.

I am lucky to get a great deal on this yak and am thrilled to be able to paddle longer and faster than I could on my other kayak. Look for a report or two on my camp/fishing trips soon.

Thanks (nm)

skua
Thanks? What do you need to know?

nm = no message
nm = “no message”

Just in case you thought it meant “never mind”, which it seems like you did.

Indeed
I just meant thanks for posting the review.

I have two rec sit on tops, 28 and 31 inches wide, so we are probably coming from similar bpats and I was curious how it felt to you.

Anyone coming from a surf ski would likely say the Skua is “rock solid”, but I would likely not call it that right away.

Therre is a guy in FL with a new ARX for about $1700, but Ed McMahan hasn’t showed up with my money just yet…

jim