Right of Way Question

what I figured also

Good idea!
“she’s … clueless” --> that was what was being implied by jvb’s story (that’s one reason it’s funny)!

It appears jvb isn’t clueless. (Don’t read too much into what is intended only to be a funny story.)

Gee…
You are in the middle of a line of boats trying to perfect your bow rudder turn and a sailboater yells ROW at you as she just misses hitting someone… first thing I’d be doing is looking around for the nearest skiff or dory. Some kind of self-importance to think that this’d be helpful.

Paddle Books
Hi,

Books on kayaking will give you general distances to keep you away from other varying types of crafts.

Even if you have the right of way, it doesn’t matter if the bigger guy doesn’t honor it. I don’t trust other boaters, because poor judgement is involved sometimes or just plain being drunk, so I keep my distance and that makes me win, even though I gave the right of way and maybe I didn’t have to. I had a motorcycle so I understand the ideology behind giving way to the bigger guy.

My paddling book says it’s a kayakers burden to stay out of a ships path.

-Capri

New Homeland Security rules
dictate distances you must keep from large passenger vessels. Please consult the Notice To Mariners for details, or your local CG office. It’s our responsibility to keep up with these variances when we paddle.

Right of way is not a term used by mariners who understand the Rules, so the lady sailing her little boat through the crowd was just weird…

The real problem with the maritime Rules is that they are complex, and involve an investment in time and experience to undertand them fully in context. It’s a case where a little knowledge is dangerous.

The original poster alludes that he has never been given straight answers by the CG. I do not believe that one bit! I have been involved with them on and off for nearly ten years and they are an excellent and thorough organization. I posed his question to my local CG and got a very straight answer immediately.

So, while I’ll get blasted for saying that P-net is not a great place to seek such info that’s simply a reflection of kayakers in general being mis-informed though well meaning. If one seeks such advice from the very org that enforces the Rules, they will get the correct info.

Wrong
"If one seeks such advice from the very org that enforces the Rules, they will get the correct info."

Wrong.

There ya have it.

man
you’re up early.

:wink:

steve

I guess I should explain it
And this is coming from a Federal law enforcement perspective: Law enforcement f**ks up with their interpretation of the laws they enforce often. Having a title, or experience, or even a great deal of knowledge on any given subject does not make one infallible. Never EVER assume that what you are told must be %100 correct because it’s coming from somebody with a title. You’ll often find somebody with the same or better title that disagrees.

Now when you, Salty, call and talk to your buds at the USCG maybe you’re getting good advice. But don’t for one minute think that somebody can’t call their USCG and potentially get some ENS who thinks he knows it all giving out hogwash answers.

Experience has repeatedly demonstrated to me that anyone claiming to “fully understand” any aspect of law is FOS. Any statutory system is open to interpretation, which often varies from one party to another. The very fact that there is always an element of interpretation involved makes an individual’s claim to sacrosanctness implausible.

OK with that viator
Sure, agree. So we all know that people are fallable, and no organization is perfect, including the CG.

However, I’m going to step out on a limb and re-suggest a conversation with the CG re: Rules, as I believe that one’s chances of getting a correct answer are certainly a heck of a lot better. Come to a paddling site and you’ll get a paddlers perspective, and perhaps correct advice. As a licensed Captain I have tried to offer advice. I have also never claimed ultimate authority, rather experience and knowledge of the subject.

If I want tax advice I’ll consult my CPA. If I want road law advice I may consult my Trooper bud, or the State Patrol. If I want to know if I can surf at Smith Island I contact the governing authority, Island County Sherrif. I didn’t hear what I wanted to :frowning:

I’ve had great experience with both the US and Canadian CG.

INteresting side note: Yesterday while out on a Research Vessel I saw two USCG Auxilliary guys on PWC! Kinda makes sense as a fuel efficient go anywhere patrol vessel.

Not distance

– Last Updated: Sep-25-07 7:39 PM EST –

"What is the minimum distance you would consider "courteous" to pass?"

I wasn't suggesting that the cabin cruiser should move away from the kayakers but to slow down. That doesn't seem overly unreasonable. It seems slowing down would have been a nice thing to do. Courtesy is never a "requirement" but things are generally more pleasant when courtesy is displayed.

---------

"Whatever it is, you will normally have the option to maintain it yourself, and be much more successful doing so than expecting others to."

I've said -repeatedly- that kayakers should be self reliant and expect nothing from other people! Pay attention.

---------

Obviously, there two discussions going on: 1) what the kayakers should do, 2) what the cabin cruiser captain should do.

There is no contradiction in saying that the kayakers should be more skillful and the cabin-cruiser captain should be more courteous.

When boats slow down…
… around here it usually makes a bigger and less regular wakes.

Not what most who seem to have issues with this sort of thing are likely to want, regardless of the good intentions of the boater.

I appreciate that they are watching and looking out for me when they do this, but really prefer it when they take no special actions on my account.

Big boat, little kayak. Right of way
problem, not really. Its a survival problem. Do what you can to get out of the way.

Surf’s up!

– Last Updated: Sep-26-07 11:24 AM EST –

"When boats slow down around here it usually makes a bigger and less regular wakes."

It's not that hard to do this so that a bigger wave isn't produced.

----------

"I appreciate that they are watching and looking out for me when they do this, but really prefer it when they take no special actions on my account."

I'm the same way. I know what is going on around me and am not surprised very often. I don't put myself where others need to take "special action". Wakes don't bother me unless they are too small!

Unfortunately, many kayakers expect the "special action".

----------

Anyway, my earlier comments in this branch of this thread was directed at rvwen's comments, which were plainly incorrect.