Rio Grande in Big Bend

What is a decent water level, as measured at Castollon or Rio Grand Village Campground, for canoeing?? Wanting to canoe in/around Big Bend but I’m not sure what water level is optimum, or water level where I won’t have to portage often.

Any recomedations would be greatly appreciated !!!

Try this website
Someone on the board passed it on to me because I’m going next month and was seeking info. Should be able to answer your questions. www.bigbendchat.com

I found this
on the Nat. Geographic website:

Before departure, call a local outfitter or Big Bend National Park to check the water levels at the takeout: John’s Marina, at Dryden Crossing.

Less than 2.8 feet [0.8 meter]: Forget it.

Between 2.8 and 3.5 feet [0.8 and 1 meter]: Runnable but bony; expect to scrape rocks and to drag the canoe. The trip risks becoming tedious.

Between 3.5 and 4.5 feet [1 and 1.4 meters]: Ideal conditions.

Between 4.5 and 6 feet [1.4 and 1.8 meters]: Challenging; use caution.

Between 6 and 10 feet [1.8 and 3 meters]: Experts only.

More than 10 feet [3 meters]: Consider turning your expedition into a rafting trip.

Thanks for the reply…
THAT IS A GREAT SITE TO GET INFO ON Big Bend! !

Oddly enough, no one on BBChat
seems to canoe or raft much. Nearly everyone has done something, but hiking/backpacking is the norm. The river forum is one of the least active.

But it is indeed the spot to get info on BBNP. I just did a river trip last fall and am planning on an extended 3 week trip sometime this year. Here is the TR for the Rancherias through Santa Elena run. Browse to trips and then others and select the Rio Grande.

http://www.paddleon.net/