Riot Kayak Vs. Necky Kayak

Just wondering if anyone had any advice for a new kayaker!

Decided to buy my first kayak and i have narrowed it down to the Necky Rip 10 or the Riot Edge 11.

Any Suggestions!?

you need to add more information
To get a good answer on this you need to tell us more about what sort of kayaking you plan to do on what bodies of water, also describe your skill level and physical size.

Despite their names (which suggest some sort of high performance spunkiness) both of those models are what are called “recreational” kayaks, mainly designed for calm lakes and mild streams. They can’t be used in serious white water, the ocean or anywhere you are likely to encounter wind and waves. They ride high in the water which makes them susceptible to wind and wave action, which can cause them to weathercock (not paddle straight) though the Riot’s skeg will correct that if you get that option.

Being so short and wide, they are relatively slow to paddle and the oversized cockpits and lack of front bulkheads make it difficult to keep water out of the hull. You can use a sprayskirt on them, but because the opening is so large, these tend to blow out if there is a lot of water pooled on the deck of them. You would need to use a flotation bag in the bow to prevent swamping if you were in a situation where you might capsize or have waves flood the boat.

They lack enough storage capacity for packing gear for overnight trips. They may also be too small for you if you are much over 6’ tall and over 225 lbs. Also too large for you if you are under 5’ 5" and less than 125 lbs. Kayaks work best when they are tailored to fit your body well, both in cockpit fit and in overall displacement.

So, if you are only planning on limited day trip use in warm sheltered waters and are not concerned about carrying capacity or speed, either one would suffice and you would have a lot of fun with it. But if you plan on developing intermediate to advanced kayaking skills, or paddling on the sorts of waters that are beyond the safe capabilities of the boats, or going on group paddling trips with other people in more advanced kayaks (it will be hard to keep up with them) it would be better to investigate alternative models better suited to those pursuits.

Most people are also going to recommend that you look for a local outfitter’s Spring “on the water” demo day so you can try out a variety of models in person in a paddling situation. You may be surprised to find out how different the various models feel.

Second above
Way too little info to make a helpful recommendation.

Have you done any demos? Some of this kind of thing could be sorted out by some in-person time at a good shop.

I have a Riot Edge 11

– Last Updated: Mar-23-12 10:56 AM EST –

or rather an Edge 10.5 which happens to be 11ft long (bow to stern) and (as far as I can tell) indistinguishable from last year’s Edge 11 model. I have never tried the Necky Rip and cannot comment on how well it handles. I have certain storage constraints and was interested in both boats at one time.

I guess these boats are what one might call “better than basic” recreational kayaks. But they are still recreational boats and as such are shorter and slower than sea kayaks and indeed other touring/transitional boats. However, the Riot fits well with my paddling which is mostly in slowish rivers (< II) and on small(ish) lakes. I am 5ft 10, weigh 160lbs and have size 11 feet. I don’t find the Riot too big or too small. It is quite possible to load onto a car roof rack alone, though I always prefer help when available.

The Edge is slightly longer and narrower than the Rip and has a noticeably smaller cockpit opening that takes a fairly normal spray skirt (Seal size 2.2 just like many WS Tsunami boats). This is a useful feature when negotiating rougher water.
Overall, outfitting on the Edge is good with front and rear bungees and perimeter deck lines. The rigging is very helpful for self-rescues. The boats tracks well without the skeg, but this is a real advantage in a cross wind or even when paddling very slowly in calm water while photographing wildlife! The seat is bit basic, but I find it comfortable, at least during trips of 2 or 3 hours. I believe the seat has been revised for 2012, as has the kayak’s weight, upwards. The floatation bag in the bow is good, but a bulkhead is better.

It’s easy to ‘edge’ the Riot for turns and it has good primary and secondary stability. I have yet roll it, but it’s many years since I learnt that skill and I am really, really out of practice.

In theory I think the Riot is probably a bit more ‘versatile’ than the Rip. A similar boat you might also consider would be the Venture Flex 11. If I had a bit more storage space, I would likely get a slightly longer (and narrower) boat but as it is, I like my Riot a lot.

Two important factors determining what boat you will end up with are what’s available on the local market (new and used) when you are looking for a boat, and what ‘local’ means to you. Good luck in your search.

Info
Sorry bout the no info!

I am a 22 years old female about 5’5 and about 130. I plan on using the kayak on a recreational basis, calm water, i am VERY new at kayaking, so skill level low, i have been in canoes all my life but just now transitioning to kayaks.

!
Thanks! :slight_smile:

reading material
Might be of interest to read the article on “Buying a Recreational Kayak” that starts on page 22 of the Summer 2011 issue of California Kayaker Magazine. Can be read online for free (you don’t even have to give them an email address, as some magazines require) at http://www.calkayakermag.com/magazine.html

If you are coming in from canoes…
I would suggest that you do some demo time before buying. If you end up wanting a rec boat like these you haven’t lost anything - they are hardly difficult to find.

My concern is that, coming from a canoe, you probably have better balance in a boat than most new kayakers, and an incomplete understanding of fit in a closed deck boat. So you could end up with a boat that gets boring fast in terms of feel for the water, and is too loose on you to have contact to do the fun stuff.

Where are you? Folks here can probably recommend good places to go to try boats.

!
I agree that I will need to be doing some demos. The only problem is that in my area there are only two kayak retailers, so my selection is limited. Also i am a student so my only real options (money wise and availability) are those two mentioned or the Perception Prodigy 12.

Have you checked out used?
Craig’s list, the used stuff on this board…? There really is no pressing need to spend the bucks for new when you first start - any spare bucks are better saved for getting the lightest paddle you can afford.

Nice link
So what the article is saying is that you don’t really don’t have to sweat the decision when buying a rec boat.

Neat.

The best…
Best paddle. Not necessarily lightest or most expensive :wink:

Serious question
Are there lightweight paddles that aren’t decent? I haven’t run into any, at least what would be felt to be a solid paddle by someone who already has time in another paddle craft. Every junk paddle I have run into is heavy with a lousy feel to its swing.

just a presonal preference

– Last Updated: Mar-23-12 5:40 PM EST –

I've actually manage to break a very light carbon-fiber paddle - not a major brand, just a "kayak manufacturer" off-brand piece - the blade simply snapped off at the shaft after I hit something underwater (presumably a pole of some sort sticking out of the bottom...) Yeah, I know, shytty quality, should have thought out that one better - but I did get it for the lightness alone. But straight-up, it was that a lightest possible paddle that was crappy :). And my Greenland stick is another example - I've tried very nice and light red cedar stick my friend has, but nevertheless feel that heavier spruce with oak edge laminate is superior - although heavier.

It's a personal thing. Usually I think lighter paddle is nearly always better - but this is mostly to it being better-made and all. But couple of ounces would not be a deal breaker for me on a paddle.

I know it's not quite what you meant in your post :) Just stirring the pot a bit!

Junk paddles - that one I'm with you 110% - heavy and... heavy! But once you are past those on price/quality scale, weight becomes less of an issue, IMHO.

Ditto on used.
If your budget is small a used boat and a decent paddle is the way to go.

If you are young and not very heavy you are going to want a boat that is easy to move around and is going to offer maximum fun. A good way to find out what you want is to join a kayak club, take some paddling lessons and see what is available. You might find if you try white water or ocean kayaking it is much more addicting than you think. If you are a student lots of universities have paddling clubs where you can meet other young kayakers. Boatertalk.com and Eddyflower are good spots to meet other young paddlers who can help you get started. Post up your general location and it’s likely somebody here can help broaden your choices of where to find boats to try and buy.