RIP, QCC...

I learned today of the loss of the fine QCC line of boats. I was looking to replace the rudder cables, called and got the bad news. Sure, I can get Smart Track parts elsewhere, but if you’re needing more proprietary parts, you’d better call soon.
So sad, last year Necky, now QCC. I guess we have lived to see the end of the golden era of kayaking.

I wondered how long QCC would last after the merger with Wenonah/Current Designs.

I have a 400X, but have always wanted to try a 600X and a 10X.

They made fine boats.

I have no clue why the need to close the line. If you have the molds there is nothing much else you need to build the kayak that CD doesn’t already have in a can or on the wall rolled up.

@PaddleDog52 said:
I have no clue why the need to close the line. If you have the molds there is nothing much else you need to build the kayak that CD doesn’t already have in a can or on the wall rolled up.

Maybe they weren’t selling many since the merger and it was too much hassle to maintain the licenses and whatever requirements needed for the separate product line.

I hadn’t seen an ad for QCC kayaks since the merger.

Licensing is usually based on units sold. Roll it all under CD.

That’s a shame for such a well-regarded line.

Brand extinction has been awful lately in the folding kayak niche. We folder freaks lost both the high-end Feathercraft and moderately priced Folbot lines two years ago. With the only remaining major players being Klepper (costly, with few dealers in the USA), Pakboat (US-based and modestly priced), Orukayak (meh) and Trak (also costly), that’s a major reduction of choice.

So I now have 2 Lumpy GP, 2 Novorca GP’s, and a QCC 700. All defunct. I am very sad about all three companies.

I don’t know the legality of it all but why CD just doesn’t take the molds call it something else and make it to order. I guess not worth it?

CD’s kayak line appears to be evolving on their web site (cdkayak.com) e.g. the Sirocco is still there, but its progenitor (the Gulfstream) is gone … the Caribou and Slipstream are gone and so on. Then there are interesting new designs.

Those were losses too (Lumpy and Novorca). I had been saving up for a Novorca only to find out he was closing down. Actually contributed to his Kickstarter fundraiser to try to save the business (I think only about 4 or 5 of us did) but to no avail.

@rsevenic said:
CD’s kayak line appears to be evolving on their web site (cdkayak.com) e.g. the Sirocco is still there, but its progenitor (the Gulfstream) is gone … the Caribou and Slipstream are gone and so on. Then there are interesting new designs.

On FB CD site they showed Caribou. I said to bad it’s discontinued. Sales rep said you can still get one. So I think if you want the latest discontinued kayaks they will still make one for you. Not like they’re so busy with longer 4 grand plus kayaks. I am guessing.