" Ripped OFF"

Dan
That flat out sucks. You being the guy that you are, I’m sure you in good faith didn’t question this guy’s ethics. Just recently bought a boat for a friend and the gentleman who sold it let it go to another friend who was picking it up for the buyer only to find he had used his last check in his checkbook. The seller just gave it to him on good faith knowing my friend the buyer would send him the check immediately. And he did. It shakes your faith in humanity when you run across one of the rare few who capitalize on the kindness of others. The thing is, kindness begets kindness-you need to pay it forward for it to carry on.

I’d echo the good advice for a deadline letter, enabling you to get your paperwork in order should it make it that far. Then notifying the appropriate authorities, and pursuing legal recourse. Also, see what the boards can do. I can’t imagine this dirtbag would want to show up at the area races where people raise an eyebrow and question his integrity at every turn.

'Hope it all works out before it gets to that.

Best,

Mark

I wish the SOB was down here in NC
I would gladly do the leg work to get your money or boat back.

I am bummed out as far as your money goes , but even more so in the fact that the paddling community has a bad apple.

Hopefully it will work out.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,

JackL

Talk to him first

– Last Updated: Sep-19-07 7:41 AM EST –

How long has it been?

I would call him first.

Tell him that you need payment or the boat is not his and ask when will I receive the check? Do you have any paperwork signed by him?

There's no way he can legally pretend it's his boat. You have pictures, friends as witness that it's yours and he has no sales receipt as payment of the boat. So legally he has nothing. A court will rule in your favor. So talk to him and just tell him you need the money or return the boat. Many times these things can be pushed along with conversation long before any strong arm tactics need to be used.

PART 2
Fellow paddlers thanks for the encouragement and advice.

I have bill of lading saying he signed for the boat. Sent him a letter of warning. next step go to small claims court and start the paperwork.

He is a TRIATHLETE, not so much a paddler. Anyone know of a club or forum inthe area. it is close to Milwaukee.

Thanks for the support.

Dan

http://www.triwisconsin.org/
Has a forum, but one must be registered to view or post.

http://www.redlinetriclub.org/
Seem to have an event every weekend.

Something Else
Today almost every newspaper has some one devoted to writing about people getting ripped off. I would find out who this reporter is and make email contact with them.

I am sure this guy does not want his name drug through the mud in the local media as a rip off artist.

Everyone - his family, parents, friends, co workers would realize just what an ass he is.

University of Florida cops
I hear that they tase. Send them after the deadbeat. “Don’t tase me, bro!”

If there is a next time, get the money
and wait, if a check, until it clears the bank, then send the boat or whatever.

POST HIS NAME ON P-NET!!
if he did nothing wrong, no problems, if he did, he can deal with his actions. Maybe someone might give him a call or email. ; )

He did.
It’s in the OP. lol

:wink:

My sister lives in Germantown
It’s a small suburban town that middle class families go to live in order to escape Milwaukee. I’ll see if she knows the guy and I’ll post back what I find.

Problem is, if the boat was delivered to a trucking depot - he may live far from there and he just chose that location to pick up at.

-Tracy

where
Where are OJ and his buddies when you really need them?

Ok, here’s what my sis in G-town says:
I’ve lived here 15 years -don’t know him-never heard of him-Notice in the circuit court listing I sent you—the one guy is from California. I checked several lists of residents and he does not show up-making me think he is not a home owner. G-town is a white bread, bedroom community with a population of about 18,000 and we are not considered attractive place to the single crowd. Cheapest rent for it’s limited # of rentals is $800 ish/month. More likely $1000-1500. Drive 5 miles in any direction and rent drops drastically. There are 2 industrial parks in the village and it is becoming common for employees to ship and receive from work. The bulk of these employees don’t actually live in Germantown but come from the surrounding towns or Milwaukee. There is another Germantown in Wisconsin in Richland County-between Madison & Verona.

She also sent me a Wisconsin Circuit court search she did on the guy. (She’s a google nut like I am) and there is a Daniel Homan that shows up repeatedly for court cases. If it’s that guy, you may be in a long line… he’s got DUI’s, a case of false imprisonment, disorderly conduct, another DUI after license revocation, battery, and several small claims filings etc. I’ll try to email you those links. Sorry.

I like what Celia said
I agree w/what Celia said.

I bought a yak, got it home and found the word “demo” on it. I called the company, told them it said demo, they ordered me a new one and said I could use the one I picked up, so they did honor their supposed mistake.

bye,

Capri

Georgia Kayaker…
GeorgiaKayaker posted:

"Hunt him down like a dog and

Posted by: Georgia_Kayaker on Sep-18-07 10:16 PM (EST)

use your imagination on what I would do.

"

I’d rather not… I’m straight.

check w. trucking co. again
Many trucking companies require that the recipient show positive ID, like a driver’s license, before they release the shipment in cases of private party to private party transactions. This protects them.

Forward Air makes a copy of the driver’s license as part of their records. I know this based on receiving two kayaks at their depot in the last year.

See if the trucking company you used has a similiar policy. You may have to first send them a copy of your formal complaint to legitimize your request, or they may just help you out without it.

Then you’ll have the man’s full legal name, D.L. and, at least, his last known address for purposes of service.

I’m sorry this happened to you. You seem like a decent man. Even the paddling community has its share of lowlifes.

What you should do
Make a report out to your local police department so there will be a record of the incident. Find a contact for the competition race and ask if you can get his registration info. If they won’t give it to you then pass the info of the contact to your police investigator who gets assigned to your case. If you have a check from his bank, you can call his bank to ask if they will help you. If his check does not have not current info/incorrect address or is fake to begin with, then you may have a case for bad check writting and get your case referred to his county.

Good luck!

Sorry that happened to you Dan. I just
gave up the sale of two boats because I would not accept a check.

Smart. Good for you.
At least you still have the boats. Collect a check from a stranger, and all you have is NSF fees, no boats and a headache . . . .