" Ripped OFF"

Run Around
I have been getting the run around from law enforcement and courts no one seems to want to deal with me. They all say go some where else.

he is entered in a tri next week in wisconsin the race promoters sent me a heads up. Really not sure what to DO???

I want to thanks everyone for the support and ideas.

So any one got other advice. I am really frustrated.

Cheers Dan

File in Small Claims Court
(1) Get the address he is using from the race organizer;

(2) File a claim against him in Small Claims Court in his home state;

(3) He will almost certainly not show up for small claims court, so be prepared for the magistrate to give several continuences until it becomes obvious to the magistrate that this guy isn’t going to respond;

(4) Take the judgement you get from the small claims court to the local sheriff, have him seize the item and either return it to you or sell it at auction to satisfy the judgement.

Be prepared for an ordeal that lasts many, many months. The police and DA won’t care a bit about this because they will see it as a simple commercial disagreement, not a theft. This is exactly what small claims court was designed for.

bump

– Last Updated: Oct-04-07 1:15 PM EST –

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=741905

Check was in the mail today…
I thank the paddling community for their assistance…

you’re a forgiving person
Had I been through what you had, I would have considered pressing charges.

That’s the spirit
Good answer.

I thought that too . . . .
But that would probably exclude his recovery, or at least drag it out a bit. I’d say getting payment of that amount would be much more important to me than the satisfaction of pressing charges.

Has it cleared yet?
You’re not out of the woods until the bank has cleared it. A guy like that is also the kind that writes bad checks. Hopefully not, but don’t spend the money until you are sure it has cleared the bank.

In most states, bad checks over certain
amount can be a felony. I don’t even know what that is in my state, but I would guess $1000 would do it.

Guy would have to be a complete moron for that. But NOT spending the cash yet is still good advice . . . .

finally…
check has cleared…

That’s great news.
I’m glad that everything finally worked out.

What was the buyer’s excuse for all of the delay?

Glad to hear it.
A lesson learned w/o permanent damage. Can’t beat that.

I’m interested in the answer to yanoer’s question too.