River in Ohio for overnight trip??

I’m looking for a recomendation for a good river to kayak as an overnight trip in Ohio this weekend.

Ideally within 2 hours of Akron. I’m an expreriendced paddler, just not from Ohio.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Mohican
Do a web search, there is a livery and there are campgrounds. I went down part of it with my church in my Pungo. There are rocks and things but no challenges a novice can’t handle.

Mohican
I second the Mohican River. It’s not too far from Akron and you can definitely do overnight trips on it. If you paddle it, I would be interested to hear where you paddled to and how it went.

Mohican?
Man that is one messed up river. My wife and I attended a PowWow there a couplke of years ago. Mid summer at a place called the “Mohican Reservation”, which actually turned out to be a campground at the end of the road.

This road followed the river and was literally WALL TO WALL campgrounds, cottages and cabins. There were so many people and campfires the air was a polluted smoky hazy mess.

We didn’t bring our canoe but looking at the river I wouldn’t want to paddle it anyway. The river was packed with canoes, all playing bank billards.

It didn’t look inviting.

Everyone loves the
Mohican. It is a nice place to go at. There are MANY campgrounds so you can plan in many ways. Beginers and experienced folk just love it.

It is also not too far from you…585 to Wooster, 30 to 3 in to loudenville…Easy as pie.

Also there is the Canal Fulton Livery, they do an over night. I don’t think I would recomend it though.

Liveoutside

the Mohican River
There is a 9 mile stretch of the river where you will tend to have a bunch of people canoeing on a given weekend. But if you put in up by the dam/reservoir on the Black Fork and paddle down, I have to assume much of the river would not have that many people on it. But yes, in the area near the campgrounds (in the 9 mile stretch) there is a lot more canoes/kayaks. Personally I don’t mind that. I’ve never had a problem with the other boats on the river.

We went when the leaves turned
At no time while I was out there did the river feel crowded, in fact quite the opposite. However at the put in the river did seem laden with canoes and kayaks. They spread out fairly quickly.

The trees were showing all of their colors and the two hours plus our group was out there was far too short a time.

The Maumee
The Maumee River in Northwestern Ohio offers canoe camping opportunities. Keep in mind, these canoe camping opportunities would be akin to car camping with your canoe. 2 campgrounds, one at Mary Jane Thurston State Park (~Rivermile 13 just outside of Grand Rapids, Ohio) and Buttonwood (~Rivermile 4 just outside of Maumee, Ohio) both offer campgrounds proximal to the river. Mary Jane Thurston would be my camp of choice with campsites on the waters edge. Camping on islands, to the best of my knowledge, is prohibited.

Seeds

why river?
Go to Put-in-Bay ( South Bass Island ) or Kelly’s Island in Lake Erie, camp out and paddle out.

If you do not want to take your car to the islands, Catawba is on this side of the lake, I think they have parking lots. You could leave your car there, paddle over.

You can reserve camping sites here: http://www.ohiodnr.com/parks/parks/lakeerie.htm

South Bass Island ( Put in Bay ) has reasonably interesting shoreline, caves, there are vineyards on the island, etc.

Akron to --?
I know you asked about Ohio rivers within 2 hours of Akron, but… The Clarion River in PA is a really pretty river and is a decent drive from Akron. There are plenty of beautiful campsites along the riverside, with a couple of state parks w/ camping along the way, too.

We put in at Ridgway, which is 3 1/2 hours or so from Akron. We paddled to Cooksburg, which is 2 1/2 hours from Akron.

The Mohican River is closer, but definitely not my first pick for canoe/camp trip. Last time I was there, there were rental canoes EVERYWHERE. I used to go there a lot, and the Mohican, in fact, is the reason I got my first canoe: I wanted to paddle less crowded, cleaner rivers…

The Clarion is worth looking at. Waaaay better than the Mohican. Don’t know about the Maumee.

Lemme know if you have questions. I’ll be happy to try to answer.

Kate

@Kate,> @Kate said:

Akron to --?
I know you asked about Ohio rivers within 2 hours of Akron, but… The Clarion River in PA is a really pretty river and is a decent drive from Akron. There are plenty of beautiful campsites along the riverside, with a couple of state parks w/ camping along the way, too.

We put in at Ridgway, which is 3 1/2 hours or so from Akron. We paddled to Cooksburg, which is 2 1/2 hours from Akron.

The Mohican River is closer, but definitely not my first pick for canoe/camp trip. Last time I was there, there were rental canoes EVERYWHERE. I used to go there a lot, and the Mohican, in fact, is the reason I got my first canoe: I wanted to paddle less crowded, cleaner rivers…

The Clarion is worth looking at. Waaaay better than the Mohican. Don’t know about the Maumee.

Lemme know if you have questions. I’ll be happy to try to answer.
Kate

How long of a trip is that?