RM all around touring opinions

Looking at the Valley Ettain, PnH MK2, Wild Syst Tempest 170. Will use on ,rivers, lakes, coastal, salt marsh. Anyone use these boats or more than one?

Of the boats you listed, I would choose the Etain. Even better would be the Nordkapp Forti. I would also wonder if you have looked at the Current Designs Prada, or Caribou–you should. But if you’re only interested in a plastic boat, it would have to be the Etain. However there is a composite (glass) boat that isn’t that much more and is a super boat–the Stellar Intrepid.

I don’t own any of those boats, but I have paddled all of them as well as the P&H boats.

P&H MkII Scorpio is my (biased) preference over the others you mentioned. The designs of the Scorpios are distinctly different from the LV to MV to HV not just one size up clones.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

At 5’6" 160 should i look at LV or MV on the Scorpios? Any info on them would help. I heard problems with certain rudders.

@eguthy@yahoo.com said:
…Will use on ,rivers, …

What do you mean when you say rivers?

Flatwater, im in Florida. However we do plenty of coastal kayaking as well.

You would be an MV sort. Skeg issues were on earlier generation skeg systems. Current skeg system is a much smoother mechanism.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

@Shortnsalty said:
Looking at the Valley Ettain, PnH MK2, Wild Syst Tempest 170. Will use on ,rivers, lakes, coastal, salt marsh. Anyone use these boats or more than one?

I have paddled all the boats on your list, plus VCP’s Aquanaut RM, and Necky’s Chatham 16. I have also previously owned a Tempest 165 and Valley Avocet RM.

I currently own a P&H Scorpio LV. The Scorpio would easily be my choice for an all-round touring boat in plastic. The fit, outfitting, and boat’s manners set a standard. Out of all the plastic boats I have paddled it is the only one that felt like a composite sea kayak.

You can just out my reviews here of the Scorpio LV.
https://paddling.com/reviews/product/p-h-sea-kayaks-scorpio-lv-kayak/

The Tempest 170 is too big for you. You would need the 165. You can move the seat back or have a shop move it back to make getting in and out easier.

@Rex said:
The Tempest 170 is too big for you. You would need the 165. You can move the seat back or have a shop move it back to make getting in and out easier.

I also think that the Scorpio (MV) will be too voluminous on you. I believe the LV will a better fit, but you should demo both models.

Fwiw, I go 5’ 9" and 155 pounds. The Scorpio LV happens to fit me like a glove.