Rocker in sea kayaks

P&H Delphin
A whitewater sea kayak. Contrary terms but makes for happy whitewater paddlers playing surf zones on the ocean. Shorter and you’re moving into Pyrahna Fusion territory.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

Sure, my average
over 10-15 milers in the 13.6 foot Perception Sonoma was consistently b/w 4.5 and 4.7 mph on flat water. But that’s slow if you want to go fast -:wink: While she was a pleasure to paddle at up to 4.5mph it was a near death experience for me to maintain 5mph over more than 5 miles -;( Same with the Zephyr, by the way. The 10-12 footers that are more WW oriented are really pigs in flat water, IMO, if one wants to cover some mileage; perfectly fine if not…

He-he … That “kayaker” is …

– Last Updated: Sep-15-11 6:08 PM EST –

... yours tuly. You should have seen me a few year of years ago trying much easier rapids for a first time -;( It took some perseverance to get to be completely comfortable in class 2 and easy 3 for me in the Z. Byt the way, now that I look at my own video, I see so many little mistakes that I think I should make a new one -;). They don't matter in this relatively easy water with little consequence if a particular maneuver fails, but can be important in a more technical situation.

Still, I would not take a sea kayak there if there were dangerous pinning situations along the way. Where I paddle the river may be swift but I would have to work hard to get myself pinned in most places and there are really only a couple of spots where it needs attention for this specific problem (which is very real!)

“A whitewater sea kayak”

– Last Updated: Sep-16-11 1:22 AM EST –

Traditionally that role was filled by the Pintail. And after that the Romany. For those paddlers I know who are primarily ww, the Pintail and Romany are the sea kayaks that make them smile.

The original Necky Elaho (15'10", skegged, etc...) was the first real playboat sea kayak I saw from an American manufacturer. Very rockered, Bombergear ww backband, and aggressive thigh braces. A very fun boat. That original version was apparently too much of a niche boat and was quickly replaced by a longer, ruddered, and less rockerd version. I'm glad to still have my original model Elaho.

The Alchemy and Delphin are the newer trend of shorter playful boats with high and defined stability but still wholly capable of seafaring.

tsunami
The Tsunamis are good transitional sea kayaks, but the main disadvantage (compared to typical sea kayaks) is that they are a bit less responsive to edging and turning strokes because they have a fairly substantial skeg trailing out under the stern. Many british style sea kayaks will maneuver across eddy lines a little more predictably.

Some sea kayaks like the Delphin are really excellent for paddling in fast currents. Others, like a Romany, Avocet, Tempest 165, are reasonably maneuverable and good all-around boats if you plan to do some current.

Sterling Reflection?
http://www.youtube.com/user/reynaldolago#p/u/5/TEMiN64_IsU

Second Avocet (plastic)
My coach back in California actually won a down river race in his plastic Avocet!

As he recounted the event, when he showed up with the 16’ long kayak, all the other paddlers looked at him like he’s from Mars! Well, they still thought he was a Marsian as he won the race. :o)

But it might be a little on the small side for the OP…

Yukon Expendition …
Looks like three or four people have recommended this, but it sounds like what you are looking for.

it really is

Yuke Exp.
A fairly serious boat in a small package:

http://www.adventurekayakmag.com/features/expeditions/1067-antarctic-expedition-success.html

You think?
If I’m lucky I’ll get down to 200Lbs - more likely 210.

pushing water
At 200+ pounds you’d probably be pushing a lot of water in an Avocet. I feel I’m pushing at bit at 185.

Yep
I’m guessing the Avocet is probably optimal at 150-160 lb.

At 120, I found it too much boat. Once loaded with camping gear, it felt much better.

I suspect it’ll do normally up to about 180’ish. Beyond that, it’s a “play boat” for the heavier paddlers. I doubt the OP want it for that.

Someone mentioned its bigger sister the Pintail. I’m told it has even more rocker than the Avocet. So you’ll have to work a bit harder to keep it going straight. Check that out to see for yourself.