rod holder placement

i am new to fishing from kayak. i have a victory blast and i bought a scotty spinning reel rod holder and im not sure where to mount it? is it better to have it behind or in front of the cockpit. are there any other options? thanks for any help.

brandon

both have their merits
Sit in the yak and see where you can reach it best (while trolling or after a paddle trip.) It’s best IMHO to use the craft a few times before drilling holes. That said, you can mount a couple scotty bases and swap the holder/top end to meet my needs. Since I fly fish, I don’t want a holder too close to me in front or I found my line.

both have their merits
Sit in the yak and see where you can reach it best (while trolling or after a paddle trip.) It’s best IMHO to use the craft a few times before drilling holes. That said, you can mount a couple scotty bases and swap the holder/top end to meet my needs. Since I fly fish, I don’t want a holder too close to me in front or I found my line.

Do one of each
Rod holders are cheap and easy to install.

• Big D

Holders
I have pondered the same question. My yak came with two flush mounts behind the seat and a scotty holder in front. The ones behind the seat are just holders for me because when trolling it is hard to watch them and watch where your going to so I troll with the front holder witch works well. The problem I found with the flush mounts is I forget I have rods in them and when I cast sometimes I tangle with them. I have an attwood holder but it won’t fit the base on the scotty. I’m thinking I would like to have some sort of holder in front just to hold a rod for baiting the hook or while reteiving a fish. The scotty in front is almost too far out front to reach so I want something close enough to reach easily yet somewhere out of the way. I might just go with a flush mount in front to use then when not in use there is nothing to complicate fishing or paddling. The jury is still out on that one.

You do need to consider
how you intend to fish. If you are continuously casting a line, a mounted rod in front can be in your way. Also consider your movement and where you typically contact the boat. I had a mount right behind my seat in a SOT that was exactly where I would put by elbow to strethc out and it always bugged me. If it was two inches back it would have been clear and just as easy to get to.

jim