rod holder

-- Last Updated: Feb-17-05 8:44 PM EST --

Okay....So the sand bass are running here in East Texas and my casting arm is getting a twitch.....The problem is my only boat is a traditional kayak.

Any ideas on making a rod holder that is NON-DESTRUCTIVE to the boat? I was hoping to come up with something that perhaps would attach to the combing and hang between my legs.

Any ideas?

A Down East Rod Holder might work
I use Down East rod holder when fishing from my canoe. It works great for slow trolling.

I don’t know how you would attach it to a kayak. I put the c-clamp on the gunwale, and need to use a small block of wood as a spacer to get the clamp tight.

You would probably need to find a way of securing a flat piece of wood to the edge of you cockpit.

The way the device works, when you get a bite, you pull the rod straight up and the holder releases. This action is no problem is a canoe, but might be more difficult in a kayak.

thanks
Thanks for the tip…I’ll check them out.

If you’re willing…
to add three eyelets I’ll show you how I made a removable deck that has a rod holder on it.

The deck can be use with ot without a skirt.

Only permenant additions are the three eylets.

Lemme know.

Hmm…
I could live with three eyelets…What do you have?

I’d kinda like to see that, too
Got any pix you could post?

Try this…

A link to KFS where I posted a pic. More detailed pics are available if your intrest continues.

If the link doesn’t work go to KayakFishingStuff.com and look under the “Do It Yourself” thread on the forums.

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=418607442&f=220603834&m=1081064131&r=1081064131#1081064131

Rod Holder
Hi,

I have used a strap on Scottys Rod Holder set-up made for fishing from a float tube. It handles baitcasting or spinning rods and is infinitely adjustable as to positioning. It allows for paddling and thus trolling as well as fighting a fish from the rod holder, with paddle in hand for security.

E-mail me if you would like to see pictures.

HHS

All are non-destructive
Rod holders ENHANCE the kayak, not destroy it.

You’ve got to change your perspective.

• Big D

ROD HOLDER
HI I WENT TO SPOTING STORE BOUGHT ONE FOR 15$ DRILLED HOLES USED STAINLESS BOLTS AND MADE A BACKING PLATE FROM ALUMIN SO DON’T RIP THRO WORKS GRETA I PUT IT IN FRONT OF ME SO CAN WATCH IT WHILE PADDLE TRICKY GETTING USE TO PADDLING WITH ROD IN IT AT FIRST .

Rod holder low tech
Hey,

If your kayak has deck bungees there is a very low tech solution. I put the butt of the rod through the bungee and troll with it. It is easy to get out with a strike and out of my way so I can paddle. Secure enough so that I have time to grab it if I hit a snag. If your rod is worth alot of money you might want to clip a line on it in case it makes it way overboard. Good luck,Roger.

update
All of my worry over a rod holder was unfounded.

I’ve found that sticking the handle of the rod under my deck cord works just fine. The rod tip rests nicely on the front carry toggle.

I have attached my rod and pliers to the boat with a telephone cord, wire (zip) ties, and a carabiner.

If I can get used to fishing with one rod (instead of 3 or 4) I’ll be alright.

-SirP

One more idea
is to make this Hatteras Rig shown in the Watetribe Article on fishing from a kayak;

http://www.watertribe.org/Magazine/

I just bought a new kayak and will use something similar to figure out best placement before I start drilling into boat. My old sit inside touring kayak had a scotty’s mounted on front of me within arms reach it worked great but on long paddling trips it really got in the way of an effective forward stroke while I was trolling. Thinking of mounting it directly behind seat behind left shoulder like I had on my sit on top kayak. Anyway, using something like the Hatteras would work to test it out first.

nix on rod holders
I fly fish from my yak. Got a rod holder, but don’t much care for using it. I really only need to have something hold my rod when underway, so I’ve taken marine velcro, industrial seems to be the same thing, and constructed a strap to hold my rod. So far, it works. Don’t troll, fish for bass and sunfish.

Warning About Down East Rod Holders
Theses things are cr@p. I ordered two for $39.00 and the will go back Monday.

They are crudely made cast metal, you need to add a block of wood to get them to fit. On top of that they are so heavy they would make great anchors if they did not cost so much.

Rod Holder
I have installed a Scotty rod holder with a backplate on my Pungo 12 footer. I troll backwards so it does hamper my stroke. I use a fly rod holder which will work for fly, spinning and baitcaster reels. The rod holder is a great place to put your rod when you entering, or exiting you boat. In addition, Cabelas makes an excellent drift boat style anchor system that will fit in the Scotty mount. I wil anchor and cast to fish on the surface, but for lake fishing trolling at low speeds is very productive.

New Non-Damaging Rod Holder
I just began production of a new rod holder for kayaks (building in my garage).

They are accepted with good revues and LOW PRICE.They are on Ebay listed under – fishing rod holders. Contact me if you want some or want to represent them. Bud