ROD HOLDERS

AFTER YEARS OF PADDLING WITH SOME FISHING MIXED IN I’VE DECIDED TO ADD SOME ROD HOLDERS TO MY PERCEPTION ILLUSION 14. PRETTY SURE I’M GOIN WITH SCOTTY BRAND (UNLESS I HEAR A REASON THAT HELPS TO CHANGE MY MIND). MY QUESTION, THE MOUNT BASE, FLUSH OR DECK? DEFINATELY LIKE THE MINIMALIST LOOK OF THE FLUSH MOUNT BASE BUT I AM CONCERNED ABOUT TAKING ON WATER NOT ONLY WHILE FISHING BUT WHEN NOT USING THE ROD HOLDER. ANY THOUGHTS OR INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

You can get flush mount

– Last Updated: Jul-30-07 5:51 PM EST –

rod holders that have a closed bottom end.
I know Cobra sells them.

Scotty makes to top mounts, a flush
mount that the rod holder fits into (actually, two, one round and one rectangular), and regular big hole in the kayak that takes on water and keeps your reels wet. My preference is for the rectangular flush mount that the Scotty rod holder fits into, neater than the round ones, though I have the round ones on my Old Town Loon. After that, the regular rod mount system is O.K., but not if you haul your kayak upside down like I do mine…interferes with loading. I don’t care for the ones where you drill the big holes for the tubes into the deck of the kayak. Yes, you can get them that have closed bottoms, but they still collect water and, with an SOT, put your rods and reels too close to the water. If you fish salt water, that’s something you do not want. And, its not great in most freshwater, requires more reel maintenance because the water washes lube away eventually.

thnaks
thanks for the input. i did mean the mount that the rod holder goes into. pretty sure i’m going with the scotty flush mount base

Best way to go. Some who have the
flush tube holders put PVC into them to bring their rods out of the way of salt water. Looks a bit funky.

The only commercial rod holder better
for kayaks is probably the RAM system, but they are significantly more expensive and not that much better for regular use. Some fly fishermen (saltwater) like the Tite-Lok rod holders. I have one and don’t care for it. However, I can see how it would be good for carrying a fly rod.

Flush mount and rocket launcher
I rigged my own for way less than a Scotty or a RAM. You will need to have access to where you want to mount through a hatch on a SOT.

Materials needed:

Stainless steel bolt, 2 washers and a nut

1.5" PVC end cap

1.5" PVC pipe

Marine grade sealant

Drill hole through kayak deck and run bolt through washer, end cap, deck, washer and nut. Apply sealant above and below deck at hole. Tighten and insert PVC pipe, cut to the length you desire, into end cap. Voila, a rod holder that will be nearly flush mounted when you transport, but will hold your rod and reel out of the drink while in use.

Scotty’s the way to go
The flush mount ones have a cap that closes up the opening when the rod holder is not installed to the mount. I don’t know how well they work, but I’m not all that worried about a whole lot of water coming in through a hole on the top of the boat. If somehow the flush mount gets to the bottom of the boat where there’s extended period of a lot of water, then I figure I’ve got bigger problems than just having a leaky rod holder.

• Big D

The hole is so small its not to worry
over.

Plugging the hole …
Here’s how to plug the hole in a flush mount Scotty

http://paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?164

Well, you’ll probably dismiss this…
…but yesterday I assembled a couple of Scotty side/deck mounts, a RAM mount for my Lowrance H2O GPS, and a Cuda 168 depthfinder on a 1x6 plank that lies across the gunwales of my OT Hunter. The Scotty mounts are for rod holders. I also have a small Scotty downrigger that can be clamped on the gunwale.

Most of this stuff was originally intended for my Fisher Walleye boat, but either didn’t get used or was no longer needed. It was lying around so I thought I’d see what I could come up with.

The plan is to GENTLY clamp the plank to the gunwales and try it out on a few trips to local lakes. Once I’ve found a good position for it I’ll bevel the ends of the plank to conform to the gunwales and bolt it to the gunwale with a couple of 1/4x20 bolts.

Power for the electronics will come from a 7ah 12 volt lead acid battery that has 2 built in cigarette lighter sockets. The depth finder transducer is clamped to a float that will be trailed from the forward seat…at least that’s the plan at this point.

Hoping to try trolling with this contraption on either Canadice or Hemlock Lake in the next week or two. It’ll be interesting, fish or not.

Bob

I did the same thing, minus the clamps.
3/4" plywood, rounded to match the inside combing of my kayak. Primed and painted, it’s just tight and sticky enough to place it in the combing, give it a couple of closed-fisted smacks, and it stays put. When I get out, another tap on the front of the rod holder and it’s loose and out. No holes, no clamps, no problems . . . .

I’ve a 1x that clamps to the gunnels
of my solo canoe. It has two Scotty the mount for my Cuda 168. I’m planning to make a larger work deck that will clamp to the gunnels. I’ve built them for my kayaks, but not for the canoe.