Roller Launches

Something has to be done. I damaged a composite like that, I would be going to jail.

Edit: You are right, if I remember correctly, the metal rails along the sides of the ramp protrude into the water on the ramp pictured in the OP. You have to go straight in. You are lucky the rollers did not get you too on a Composite. Bad Deal.

Shrug. It looks the same to me in both. If it were elevated above the water, you’d see a shadow.

I think the v-shaped cutouts can make the photos somewhat deceptive. They sort of obscure the fact that the bottom is flat, by removing the edge you would tend to use as reference. I spent a lot of my career rolling things around on a computer screen to find the clearest view. It easier to see what’s going on if you already know what’s going on, if you know what I mean. I suspect that’s where the confusion came in.

I actually remember working on a vehicle hull that was sort of similar to this shape, in some ways.

Calm down. Nobody is ever “going to jail” for scratching their kayak on an inanimate object, no matter how badly desgned. Or a car, or a bike, or somebody’s new shoes. Objects are not people. Crappy ramps are not a safety hazard, they are a nuisance that does not rise to the level of legal action. All we can do is register clear objections often enough to hope someone in a position of responsibility takes notice and remediates. Bicyclists have to deal with this all the time with stupid “bike lanes” and other far more dangerous infrastructure that is harder to avoid and even deadly.

In my experience, trying to drag issues like this into courts never ends well nor improves these things, only polarizes the people and bureaucrats against people who want to maintain, let alone improve, access. All that happens with the “fix this as we demand, or we’ll sue you” attitude is that access gets restricted or outright banned.

3 Likes

Maybe because you have seen it, but to me in the first picture the water seems to be passing under the platform and the platform is raised above the water, maybe angles, maybe high water hiding the slope, but I been staring at that thing for minutes. You see the yellow stains apparent in the second photo, they are not apparent in the first photo. There you go.

I am with that, the first photo is deceptive and part of a plot.

Let me tell you something, I put a $1,000 or so damage on a brand new Composite Kayak (like what happened to someone in a previous post), say a $5,000 Bill Swift, I am going to lose it, slap someone upside the head, then “I” am going to jail. On the other hand, I think you are wrong, I think there is clear, clear, action here for a Class Action against the manufacturers and government agencies.

Plot? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Total Plot.

As opposed to a partial plot?

MJAC…You’re a jackass… If you didn’t think about the repercussions of using that ramp, you’re to blame…

Extensive

Well I guess that puts every single person who has had their boat damaged by a roller ramp into that category which if I were to guess is in the thousands when they without knowing launched their boat on what looked to be a very inviting launch. Would you like to send them all a message too?

Think before you open your mouth. Logic is your friend though it may indeed be a stranger to yourself.

Thanks
mjac

1 Like

Would someone explain how that “Block” thing works, I think I found a candidate.

The photos are obviously ramp installations from different locations – look at the uprights, they are different. Comments are like putting your boat in the water: best to look before you launch.

Folks, there is no plot here. Purchasing agents know nothing about kayaking or canoeing, right? They are fresh meat for salesmen out to make a buck. And I don’t imagine that dock system salesmen know anything about paddling either; their engineers probably bought a Wally World yak, designed something they thought would work for it, and tested it with someone who is handicapped. Et voila, thousands sold.

2 Likes

Comment from who posted both photos, “Here is another view of the same launch.” …What are you going to do?

It’s the same launch on the Assabet river in Maynard, MA. The first picture was taken when it was brand new in 2018, the second was taken last year. It’s pretty obvious to me in the first picture that the launch is not above the water because the visible waterline on the left side intersects the end of the V. Also, given the sun angle there would be a shadow on the water if the launch was above it. Also, it’s pretty obvious that the raised ridges are horizontal and not curving upward at the ends. And it would be pretty stupid to design a kayak launch with upturned ends to prevent the boat from exiting. But don’t let that stop you from believing what you want to believe to keep grinding that axe.

However, in this very thread, there were actual articles written recognizing this launch design was damaging boats in 2013, yet installations continued and nothing was done about existing installations. There are no excuses. Even more absurd is the fix is rather simple. You only have to remove the rollers, fill the voids with the appropriate Epoxy then glue down a “Smooth” Fabric, problem solved. These clowns, all that you have listed, need to be hit with a Class Action Lawsuit. That is the only thing they listen to. I watched these DF Bureaucrats destroy 40,000 acres of Old Growth Cypress Marsh Forest with their stupidity and expose New Orleans to potential utter destruction which almost happened in Katrina. The old Boogalies who hunted, trapped and fished that Marsh told them exactly what was going to happen and they wouldn’t listen because they weren’t “educated” like them.

Thanks
mjac

The dang thing looks like it is hovering over the water. Further evidence this is an elaborate plot.