rolling a "day touring" kayak

Good thread Jim
Now I know who scout is!

That boat has a big cockpit - do you have a tight-fitting skirt yet? (insert laughter here from our daughters…).

A guy by the name of Gallagher offers classes in the winter at the Great Mills pool - nice easy instruction - less stressful than rolling in the 130’ channel off Pt. Patience…I’m prone to ear infections and have scarring from past bad infections, so I would not roll in the lake, but a treated pool is ok. Let me know - we could take the pool class together next winter.

I did the wet exit and assisted/unassisted re-entry class with him there.

dont’ worry to much about losing weight
and yoga for rolling—the actual physical movements are quite simple and you don’t have to be in really good shape to do them–what’s harder is the mental aspect—not panicking and remembering the movements while upside down under water–your best bet is to find a rolling class where the instructor provides the boats(usually white water easy rolling ones) and learn there. Once you get the feeling and the movements down pat you can practice in your own boat–the key is having a knowledgable partner assist you while you learn.

Good idea.
Thanks Rick. That sounds perfect. Let me know when you hear anything about the class being scheduled.