Rolling a Tempest 17

yep
one of the problems I noticed for folks not being able to get their torso and blade to the side of the kayak was that the person would push with both legs while attempting a hip snap,which pretty much made them situp under water and pull the blade down not sweep with a distinct hip snap.

Bracing
EJ will teach you to stop trying to brace while you’re upright. You plop on in to the water and brace up from there. Just lean back, get that knee involved, and bring the boat up before you bring your head up.

You’ll see. It works like a charm.

floating seat
Hey, I dug two of my throw cushions out from the canoe. I got off the wall and am rolling consitantly with 2 floaters and got cocky and went to one. Ok, it felt good and I did a couple but then got tangled up, ie head back floundering about, got a wee bit tired etc etc. But after reviewing what was going on I could see that there is a system/ act the starts up front and works. Lots of practice to go for confidence, but hey, I did some. I am sure I picked up a few bad habits, and yes I guess I will get EJs dvd unles somebody wants to rent it to me. Progress is being made and I am not draining the pool 2 gulps at a time.

Thanks for the help.

parr

sit-ups to one side while underwater
and inverted. It takes abdominal strength to set up. Use your abs to get your chest close to the coaming. This is hard for us portly types.

One reaason my off-side is still my off side is that my abs are weaker on that side and my set up is not as good.

Wish I knew
I wish I knew. I could have used the “know-how” today. I worked and worked at it, to no avail. Fun was had by all. If it wasn’t for the mosquitoes, it would have been a perfect day in the water. We stayed in the pool all morning. I also believe you will need the DVD: EJ’s bracing and rolling, as mentioned before. I know I do.

don’t worry
the Eureka moment will hit and you’ll realize you were tightening some muscles where they didn’t need to be and up you’ll come.

If you want to
try something different to give you the right feel, lay back onto the back deck and use a sculling brace to help maintain your balance. Once this feels ok, start sliding off the side of your back deck just a little bit at a time, sculling for support. Eventually your head and torso will be in the water, basically floating, while using the sculling motion to keep your face above the water. Arch your back to keep the boat from flipping on top of you. If you lift your head, you will sink (and learn). If you get this down, you will be able to slide on and off the back deck, using the brace/scull and thus will have learned the most important part of the roll.