Rolling and Jellyfish........OUCCHHH!!!!

Ok here is the scenario…you are paddling along the in the chesapeake bay…

do be do be …paddle paddle…do be do be…

and you decide to do a roll…YA…what fun!!!

Ok …on the way down you forget to check for jelly fish (sea nettles) …and one stings you in the head/neck…OUCH!!!

A couple of web sites are saying jelly fish stings in the neck are very serious…and can be deadly.

Wondering if anyone has ever gotten stung while doing a flip?

Thanks!

There are jellyfish…
…and then there are JELLYFISH.

Some we can handle like the Cassiopeia and others like the man o’ war will put you in the ER.

There are Jellyfish and…
and the ones like the Box Jelly will put you in one of them el cheapo black plastic bags with the zipper.

Man O’ War…
some of that around here. Last week, a swimmer had his whole body stung by one. Wicked welts all over. Can’t imagine what it must have been like to swim back in after that encounter.

They were thinking of closing the beaches around the area, including one we had planned to surf. We got in at 6 AM, before the lifeguards showed, and had a great session.

Worrying about jellyfish is akin to worrying about sharks. Heck, it just makes me want to roll up faster. :slight_smile:

sing

And then there are the upside down
jellyfish (gentle beautiful creatures) like you have down there in the Keys which brings up the question:

If you did a roll and were upside down would that make the upside down jellyfish right side up?

cheers,

JackL

Picture ---- Baja Ca Mexico
This is in a seacave near Punta Banda in Baja California Norte, when we started taking flash pictures of the waves coming into the cave we noticed the cave was full of these guys. I’m not sure how bad they sting but we were about 2 hours paddle from any help, so we got out of that cave real fast.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/82306972/1082311191043972821NtcMxR

yes
I live in virginia near yorktown and last year was practicing roll during jelly fish season. There were alot around but I am a bit stubborn and did it anyway. Stung a bit but nothing bad. Got it on my face and neck. Was not enough to stop me but I am not as gung ho this year and probobaly not due it now.

They were the clear type jellyfish.

eugene

Jack, Two wrongs don’t make a right…
Those are the Cassiopeia I spoke of above. We would pick them up and hand them to the tourists.

After a while my tolerance faded and they started to tingle so I quit picking them up.

Been stung by just about every kind
in Galveston Bay and the Gulf Coast of Texas.

Sea nettles - been stung so many times that I hardly notice them anymore, a slight prickle.

Moon jellies - they don’t exactly tickle.

Cabbageheads - finding yourself in a big school of them can give you a slight itch, but their sting is pretty fickle.

Man o’ war - only stung once, on the foot and leg, kept the scar from the sting for several years. Can imagine getting stung all over by them can put you in a pickle.

Why the hell did I just rhyme that?

Been hit by a Man of war
For me it took about 10 minutes before I was feeling seriously bad. Ammonia from boat captain (applied topically) was the start to healing.

Last summer
I rolled my face into a stinging jelly fish.

My first thought was that I had smacked my face into something hard - like walking into a door face first.

I rolled back up again, saw the jelly fish and then realised what had happened. My face was burning red for the rest of the day and that was it.

Luckily we don’t have those Man-o-War buggers around this part of the world.

/Peter

Bay Jellies
The stinging nettles (Chrysaora quinquecirrha) and moon jellies (Aurelia aurita) that are common in the bay aren’t too dangerous (unless you are alergic of course), though pretty unpleasant to take about the head and neck. The nettles hurt worse and welt me up pretty well in tender spots. Feels a lot like the plant that goes by the same common name.

Sometimes they get so thick that it is just best to stay above board.

Those critters
sure love to travel in packs, packs of thousands usually. Whether it be the big pink jobbies, little pink jobbies, litle guys that just sit on the bottom down in the keys, the sea lice said to be thimble jelly fish larvae or the god awful man-o-war.

I have had many close calls with scopping them up with a paddle stroke and sliding down into my lap but knocking on a wood (paddle) not yet have I been stung to any serious extent.

Plenty of close calls snorkeling head into them but thats when its time to call it quits for the day.

Lots of people get sea lice but I nver have for some reason.

Brian

Soflo

website about Chesapeake Jellies
http://coastwatch.noaa.gov/seanettles/index.phtml

Years ago, while spearfishing…
I thought a bluefish had taken a bite out of my neck. Turning around, I saw that it was a lion’s mane jellyfish. Since then, I wear a wetsuit, even in the summer (a very thin wet suit!), just for the protection, if I’m in the water for any length of time. By the way, someone mentioned ammonia as a first aid measure. In my experience, this is a good choice, not only for jellyfish stings, but bees and wasps too. I remember once, a toddler got stung by several paper wasps. My father quickly applied some household ammonia with a cloth, and the kid stopped crying almost immediately. Just be careful around the eyes when dabbing it on.

Tony

Thanks

Huh - - Jellyfish???
Oh yeah - - We don’t get those in the great lakes area. Just lots of pollution.

Now you tell me…
and I have been picking them up for years.

–From the top side,— or is that the bottom side?

Cheers,

JackL

And in a pinch…

… male urine works well…

Now let your imagination run with that one…

Urine works because…
it contains ammonia.

Tony