Rolling in cold water

We had a rolling session in my kayak club tonight. Water temperature is at 8 degree Celsius and the air temperature is close to freezing. To avoid the icy feeling in the face, I experimented with smearing Vaseline in the face. The result was no less than stunning. After 30 minutes of rolling I was still feeling very comfortable. Naturally the rest of my head was covered (tight fitting hood with a fleece cap below).

/Peter

Old Swimmers’ Trick
Some of the first swimmers to swim the English Channel, before wetsuits, smeared themselves with grease.

Silicone Grease
doesn’t damage your latex gaskets if it gets on them by accident. I started to use this to ward off rash from the gasket and found that it fought off cold water sting while surfing last winter.

sing

Lab Retriever way!
Yep, you and my old faithful black lab, Miguel would have a good time together. Each fall he develops the thickest mane undercoat and fat layer you can imagine and plop into the cold stuff not even a shiver. I am careful with him, but no ill effects, even when swimming around. Do you all know any other substances that might work?

seal fat
and whale blubber.

the original kayakers were pretty smart fellars. anything to form a barrier to water contact.

steve

Source for Silicone Grease?
Sing,

Where do you get this stuff?

Thanks.

Joe

Try This Link…
http://www.diversdiscount.com/

Type “silicone grease” in the search frame and you’ll find the 1/4 oz tub of Innovative Silicone Grease. This little tub doesn’t last long for me. Instead get the upgrade to 1.5 oz jar for $9, instead of the $4 for the 1/4 oz.

I usually buy 3 or 4 at a time. I can’t wear drytops or drysuits without silicone grease because of the rash I get around the neck from latex.

sing

this trick is also used
in severe winter conditions.

Electronics and auto parts stores too.
Silicon Grease is also marketed as dielectric grease and brake caliper grease.

How do you get it off your skin?
Normal soap and water?

Whoa! on the dielectric grease
I have a small tube of dielectric grease, which the trailer manufacturer recommends for protecting the 4-flat trailer electrical connection.

Do NOT use this stuff on your skin. The warning on the tube’s label states that it can cause cancer.

I’m sure you can buy plain silicone grease without the cancer-causing agents.

Silicone grease
I get it at the local pharmacy, several sizes. Keep a large tube in the truck, and a small tube in the day hatch in case I need to put on a little more as the day goes on…

Double Whoa!!!
Don’t use stuff mixed for engine or mechanical stuff.

The stuff I use is 100% silicone. (Brian N also mentions food safe silicone, though I haven’t found that).

The stuff comes off pretty much with a nice warm shower.

sing

Retraction
The stuff I saw was 100% silicone grease. Simply, it is a synthetic grease that displaces water. I wasn’t even aware that they made a form of the stuff with ground conductive material added. Bad juju. Most assuaredly, I would trust a version that is food-grade approved by the FDA first.

food grade silicone grease
Here is a website for that:

rtxs.com

Food grade?
Is it good on toast?

Not necessarily
I checked the MSDS on several types of silicone grease - including a couple of brands of dielectric grease - and they all contained the same benign ingredients. Perhaps there are some that contain other ingredients that can be dangerous, but you can’t simply rule out everything that’s called “dielectric grease”. If you have a question about the composition of a specific product, the MSDS should be available on line.