Rolling Situation

– Last Updated: Jul-23-04 4:51 PM EST –

"are you a local? A WSK member?"

"local" as to South bay, but not in Santa Cruz. I do sometimes wish I live closer to the water. Yes, I'm a WSK member. Only join this year. Were you at the Angel Island picnic? There were some GREAT drama on the water after lunch (or should I say UNDER the water)! ;o)

Dizziness
I haven’t seen this mentioned in any rolling discussions. My husband and I took a pool rolling class and have practiced a few times since then, but we have to stop because we get dizzy and nauseated from all the spinning. I got the hip snap down pat and still have to work on getting the paddle at the proper angle, but I have to cut short my practice or I will lose my lunch. How do y’all cope with that, or is that not a problem with anyone else but us?

Spinning?
Are you doing multiples? Impressive!

More likely the dizzyness is from holding your breath, or simply from being upsidedown, or both. No?

Dizzyness
caused by rolling is normal for me.After I’ve done a bunch and then try to exit my kayak on the beach I stagger like a drunk.

Goes away in a couple of minutes though.

Probably caused by exciting the little float valve in your inner ear.

Oh black water,keep on rollin’

Eat less?
“I have to cut short my practice or I will lose my lunch”

Forget the lunch then! ;o)

Kidding aside, being upside down can do a number with whatever was in your stomach. So I would go light on lunch.

I found myself sometimes getting upset stomach from just paddling after a big meal! All that torso rotation, combined with an even slightly pitching deck, was enough to squeeze the lunch back out!

Vertigo
Some people are just more sensitive to loss of orientation than others. I know someone who says he did 3 rolls in a row quickly and he had to run to the bathroom from the pool…barely made it in time.

I get a little dizzy from doing 3 or 4 quickly but it goes away in a moment or so. Am guessing lots more would make me sick, too. But let’s face it: I couldn’t do more without having to pause briefly on top for another breath anyway. Then the dizziness would subside with the pause.

I wonder if your doctor could help with this.

Just a guess…
but would taking something like Dramamine help prevent that dizziness during rolling practice?

I don’t even have my own kayak yet much less a roll under my belt but I have to admit to a strange fascination with this thread and others on the topic.

Sounds like fun… and a real boost in confidence when you learn how to do it.

Hoo

Should, Ginger too.
In high doses anyway. Jamaican Ginger Beer, Ginger Altoids, tablets made to seasckness, Ginger Tea (so I’m told), etc. Mmmmm!

Better for queasy than dizzy, but dizzy often leads to queasy.

Strong peppermint for crampy insides and mild indigestion.