rolling

It’s been really helpful to read some of the continuing threads/advice/support for other readers re the roll. I was getting them pretty solidly a week ago, and now I do this cute thing (ha!) where I blow the first one, gasp for air as I plunge back down, and hit the second one. My partner said I’m just way more motivated the 2nd time. Likely that’s true. Anyway, like some of the rest of you, I’m practicing, enjoying the threads and support, and will keep trying.

Try This…
Set up with a Greenland paddle; sweep it back like a regular roll; then reverse the angle of the paddle and sweep it forward. Dude! You’re up! Snap if you feel like it. Don’t snap if you don’t feel like it. You’re up.

Try this
You make it sound so easy! And I have to admit, I do not yet have a Greenland paddle. I found a site to figure out length, etc., and a buddy is going to cut one out when I get him the numbers, but till then, it’s my trusty large blade. I will try your suggestion tho.

Yeah
That’s a reverse sweep or reverse screw roll.

That’s what I did to my ex-wife in our divorce proceedings… a reverse screw.

head down!
>>now I do this cute thing (ha!) where I blow the first one, gasp for air as >>I plunge back down

Are you lifting your head too soon? Pretty much every time I don’t come up that’s what happens to me. Figure if I can get a breath before I go under again my head was too high. Hardest thing for me to learn is not bringing my head up.

Alan

Finish with a forward sweep
and a reversed blade angle. Probably the most reliable roll I know. It works very well in kayaks without a low back deck, too, when an extreme lay back is difficult or impracticle. Has the additional advantage of bringing you up in an aggressive paddling position.

basically sculling up
Works with a GP, or with a Euro. It’s a great skill to have, as it requires less concerted coordination, and can continue for as long as you are being pushed over. Also a good way to progress to a single sweep roll for some.

I also enjoyed
going down to the pond and practicing…

pretty much did the same thing with blowing the first one or second or third…

Some people might think I’m showing off now, but to me it’s about having fun.

Being motivated is usually a bad thing.
You don’t want to rush your roll. If you are doing a Greenland layback roll, you will perfect it best by doing it as slowly as you possibly can. Aggressive and constant uncoiling along with a deliberately slow sweep. If possible, try laying onto the backdeck and slowly doing the roll in reverse. Lay back, put the paddle into the water at the rearmost of your sweep and sweep forward while slowly lowering yourself into the water. You can stop the process at any time and roll up at whatever stage you are in. If you struggle with the very end of your roll, just practice the first part of the reverse roll. This method is also helpful for not banging water into your ears when you roll over from an erect vertical position. Be careful with the erect position as it can lead to the reverse screw divorce. :slight_smile: Bill

See what I Sea
I changed boats recently and have been missing my butterfly roll and couldn’t figure out why. I had an Ellesmere and all my rolls were easy enough in it but it’s what I learned in. Others far better than me said it was a difficult or quirky roller. I now have an Explorer and though most rolls are as easy or easier, the BF hasn’t come so easy.

I have always rolled with my eyes open but last night tried with goggles and watched my hand the whole way and nailed it easy. Now what the heck is that all about?

That is about…
…watching your hand…or your blade…makes your head unconsciously stay in the water just a little bit longer.

try this . . .
Okay - I’m going to try the reverse screw (my new mate will be so pleased), keeping my eyes open to watch my hand, focusing on my head, etc. I have to go reread the one on going slow and lowering myself into the water a few times to try to understand it. Again - thanks for the feedback. I am encouraged - at least I get them about 50% of the time, which my daughter kindly informed me is “an F.”

Forward
recover rolls are based on chest skulling…practice sliding off the front deck, face down and skull…then glide back on the front deck in one motion. smooth and gracefull

it’s the key

Best Wishes

Roy

Extended

– Last Updated: Sep-18-09 7:56 AM EST –

Try extending the paddle. It's like cheating it makes coming up so easy. After your extended roll is 100% just keep your hands in the forward stroke position.

(krousmon, i have set you up nicely here. you're welcome)

How on a Butterfly?
It’s working now, just hand to see it to see it. Odd but the last feller had it right, I was lifting my head too soon

Extending

– Last Updated: Sep-18-09 10:56 AM EST –

the paddle is ok most of the time, but extending the paddle takes longer, and the paddle can get ripped out of your hands in the surf when you are changing grips. I like to keep the same grip on the paddle shaft and do a CC. In the surf I'm back up while I'm still being drug by he wave and getting ready for the next wave.

Each person should use whatever roll works best for them. A few people I paddle with go to an extended lay back and it's a good roll for them. I like keeping a firm grip on my paddle if there is a chance it can get torn away.