Rolls - why so many types?

That’s funny, but how in the heck did the deck adornment keep his feet in place?

I keep trying to get my grandson to ‘hitchhike’ a roll with me but he won’t do it. Maybe if I show him this clip it’ll convince him that he won’t drown. Thank you!

Friend has been practicing rolling for a while with a GP paddle. He extends the paddle and hold one end of paddle with his hand a rolls up. Is a roll like that any good if your were in rough water or is it better to learn a C 2 C roll where your hands don’t change positions? That way you could be ready to paddle and brace again as soon as you surface?

@PaddleDog52
You mean like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viZuHfiWoSk

At the suggestion of Recluse (who always gives me good advice) I bought the “This is the Roll” DVD from Pnet and have been watching it. It’s excellent but Cheri makes it look so easy, I wonder why she even bothers using her stick.

@PaddleDog52 said:
Friend has been practicing rolling for a while with a GP paddle. He extends the paddle and hold one end of paddle with his hand a rolls up. Is a roll like that any good if your were in rough water or is it better to learn a C 2 C roll where your hands don’t change positions? That way you could be ready to paddle and brace again as soon as you surface?

Just about any basic roll can be done with an extended paddle or normal grip. The difference is in the increased leverage the extended paddle gives you. This is both good and bad for learning. Good because you’ll easily master it and this gives confidence. Bad because you can learn to rely way too much on the paddle and learn bad technique overall.

I find the C to C harder on my body than a modified sweep. It’s also difficult to find the correct setup position without help from a friend the first few times. Most of all I don’t think it’s as useful for sea kayaking as it is for white water.

The best advice I’ve seen (and taken) is to focus on the simplest one you think you can master and get really good at that. If you’re having a lot of trouble, pick another one to work with, but don’t just keep trying a bunch of different rolls haphazardly. Once you have it down solid on your good side (and this could take a while!) move to your “bad” side and work on it. You know by this point you can always come up on your “good” side so a failed roll doesn’t mean a swim anymore.

When you get to this point, learning new ones and trying different things is just plain fun because you decide when to come up for air.