Romany Explorer v. Caribou S

Elaho is hard edge soft chine
just as the Romany and Explorer are hard chine soft edge.

It seems that the difference in feel of various profile hulls is easiest to sense in ww boats. Tonight I had my I3 for pool session, last week my Diesel. Last winter I alternated between an Inazone and a Pirouette. Last season I ran an Inazone for most of the season and an I3 for the last few runs. Even the difference in feel of these two closely related boats was noticable.

The volume, bottom, chine, flare etc… all contribute to the personality of a boat.

Salty, it has been your observations
that are among the clearest regarding the effects of volume distribution.

I know it is among the very obvious aspects to those who actually know hull design. For a paddler such as myself, it takes a while to assimulate. Now when I recall four years ago Tom Bergh noting how the full bilge of the Aquanaut helped make the boat more reassurring, I understand better how that is.

Having alternated paddling my Aquanaut and Nordkapp LV this Autumn into Winter I came to appreciate how much the volume distribution differences truly impact the feel of each of these related designs.

Okay - Should Have Gone in Discussion

– Last Updated: Feb-20-08 4:44 AM EST –

Wrong forum, right results...

It's VERY cold here in lower, lower Michigan, so this discussion was just what I needed to keep myself from spiraling out of control re: weather, economy, other b.s. such as children leaving the nest...

Anyway, we got some good discussion re: chine v. edges, volume, design history, etc. My thanks to the p.net "gurus" who actually can PRODUCE these fine hulls - I tip my paddling hat...

My final word is an observation I've held ever since being told that "this canoe is faster than this canoe," "this kayak is more efficient," et al -

Having owned hundreds of yaks and canoes, it always confounds me how hulls can LOOK very similar and perform very differently. Persons respond, "Well, go paddle it before purchasing it." True enough, but not always practical, especially in "conditions".

This said, its fun to get input from you "experts" prior to purchasing (or selling, for that matter). You've been right more often than wrong for my needs (exceptions being the Wenonah's, which I didn't like, the Bell Magic, which felt slow to me, and the Swift canoes, which I can't love...).

Not bashing, as these hulls are right for other people and/or other conditions. This said, I've always purchased hulls more advanced than my needs JUST BECAUSE I like the FEEL of them...

The 'Bou is one of those hulls I'd put up there with the Guillemot Night Heron, the SEDA Vagabond, the Bell Merlin I, the Bell Wildfire, etc., as being just a straight up GREAT hull for my body size (5'11", 210 lbs. athletic) and paddling style.

Some boats are just plain horrible. Some are standouts which all agree upon. Being able to understand WHY certain hulls are so much better than others which APPEAR to be similar is difficult for MOST of us.

Thanks for the inputs. To me, very interesting.

Glenn

A word of caution
I think some may confuse a planing hull with a displacement hull. Play boats are designed to utilize wave energy and perform in a planing mode. In the absence of that energy they are in displacement mode, and highly innefficient.

Touring kayaks are displacement hulls. Entirely different craft with a different objective. They both float and that’s about the end of the overlap.

Thank you.
Over enthused… again.