Romany S RM

Romany S RM
is off my list. I looked at a few up close yesterday. The fit of the boat it self was about right. But, I was not impressed with the workmanship on the RM boat. I did not like how the cockpit rim was attached or sealed.And there where other small features that did not impress me over all.Now on to a glass boat. I tried on a few glass boats. I like the fit of the regular Explorer. The regular Romany fit was about right. Did not get a chance to sit in a Romany Surf. Will need to a some point. When it gets a little warmer, a demo paddle will help make a final choice.

second the plastic Valley Aquanaut LV
I agree with yakwise’s suggestion to look at a rotomolded Valley Aquanaut. My wife and I have one (the LV model, which is fine for people weighing up to at least 170 and probably a lot more). The workmanship is excellent I’ve been very impressed at how stiff the boat seems. And the paddling characteristics seem perfect for what you want - fairly low rear deck, easy to roll, good compromise between tracking and maneuverability. Very nice boat.

Valley Aquanaut LV
I think this is a great choice also, I paddled one for these for 5 days at Isle Royale. I was truly pleased how well it handled the rough as well as the calm waters, it was fast and build really well. For reference I am 6’1" 176 lbs. I usually paddle either a Nordkapp LV or a Anas Acuta, This boat impressed me , not that I am an expert, but if I were looking for a plastic boat it would be high on my list.

Or RM Avocet… however,
Poly Avocets have been pretty popular. They are very well made and are good learning platforms as well as playboats. It is worth trying one.

However, wholly subjectively, I think you should really get into a composite standard Romany and play. I would be shocked if it didn’t put a smile on your face. I know every time I put someone in my Romany they smile broadly :slight_smile:

Not the Romany
I understand that you didn’t like the Romany and wanted to offer you the chance to paddle my Cd Solstice GTS. You post mentions that you are interested in Lakes, Bays, Large Rivers, and the ICW. The Solstice GTS is an Ideal boat for these waters if it fits you well.

I’m near Raleigh but travel all over the state. Feel free to contact me if you want to paddle with us sometime.

Another Idea is to buy a used boat at a very good price and start paddling sooner. Then when you find the ideal boat you can sell it for about what you bought it for and you’ll have learned what you like and don’t like.

Frank Ladd

President

Carolina Kayak Club

FWIW my Aquanaut LV RM will be the last
boat I ever sell. Hands down the most friendly well mannered boat I have ever paddled. It is heavy, a little slower, and not the beauty queen of the bunch. It is my second best rolling boat behind my skin boat. It is the best off wind and surf boat I own. You can use it atthe pool, drag it over anything, and never worry about how it looks and it returns the favor by making up for most of your mistakes and lazy effort. A great boat purchased for $1250.00. I should also say that I am seriously looking at the purchase of a Romany S in composite as I think it might be a fun boat in the rough stuff and save alot of weight. It will not be as fast, good tracking, or as good of a roller as the Naut though. I am 6’3" 235lbs for reference. Bill