Roof Rack or New Vehicle?

resale is only one reason

– Last Updated: Dec-22-15 5:13 PM EST –

to discourage drilling holes in one's car roof.

If there's no other answer, there's no other answer. But to me the logic of forgoing a clamp-on system for a permanently drilled and mounted system falls flat on it's face: it's not safer; factoring in your time it may not be cheaper; and it's not any more convenient.

350,000 miles
It’s hard for me to believe that any modern vehicle is so poorly made as to be at the end of its life at 150,000 miles, and you exaggerating to say that a vehicle with 350,000 must have no remaining value (but at that point, holes in the roof still don’t matter). This kind of lifespan is not at all unusual, and engines and drive trains can still be in fine condition at that point. We used to have colleagues in the soil-boring business, and they had a whole fleet of Chevy pickups (all with V-8 gas engines, not diesels). By the time the primary market for their specialized work dried up and they called it quits, all of their older trucks had between 350,000 and 400,000 miles, and were working fine. I’ve met numerous people with 350,000 miles on mini pickups of various brands too, still running great.

the logic the logic of
what ?

no I’m seriously taken aback by the gaping abyss between self reliant paddling and weak knees, shallow knowledge abut drilling 8 holes.

My understanding is these rack posts are expertly contrived ads by and for Yakima, Thule and Padnet.

that’s cool, we not rack people get a forum. Fair dictum.

If your sellback in return for more debt is in facto half way like new the dealer will repaint it to improve his position.

I more or less understand that maybe I drill a better hole than you can but look its just 8 holes. Follow the instructions. Itsa learning project, an art work. Yours.

On the other, I watch paddlers in the same park but from OPERATING the yak/thule ‘systems’