Roof rack, ratchet straps, kayak & anxie

Me too.

– Last Updated: Sep-01-14 8:43 PM EST –

I am a rope guy too. I trust my knots a lot more than those cams and straps. Also, the straps deteriorate and they get weak with sun exposure. Rope is a lot more reliable in my humble opinion. You just need to be able to tie a bowline, a trucker's hitch and a half hitch here and there is helpful to tie off the excess rope.

oh brother
I’ve been using the same pair of straps for over a decade.

Why is it that rope guys always have to tell anecdotal half-truths in order to make their argument? Rope has it’s advantages. Stick to those.

Skeg vs. rudder
Cam straps vs. rope. Both have their fans and are a valid & useful tool. Ratchet straps however, are crap for the purpose discussed.

oh, agree with that
Ratchet straps are a recipe for disaster. Or at least for gelcoat cracks.

there’s some really good
advise in these threads. While I know I’ll not resolve the strap vs rope debate within this thread, I’ll just say this: I use ropes. That is based on empirical observations of 40+ years. If one uses ropes, do not use nylon or cotton. Nylon or cotton will stretch and loosen. Use polypro or other synthetics which are known not to stretch. Braided vs twisted handles easier. Also, since we are always near water, nylon and cotton do not float. Polypro does.