Roof racks on new cars

Time delay
When a model changes, there’s usually a 6 month lag time after introduction before Yakima and Thule will be able to make a recommendation. In a lot of cases, they’ll need to create a new clip to fit the car, and even then, they’ll need some time to test it and make sure the fit is safe.

If you don’t need a rack right away, just give them a little time to get caught up. In the meantime, the foam pads can work in a pinch. Use lots and lots of straps…

With Subie’s new rack…
the unfortunate news is that one of them, I forget whether Thule or Yakima, had come up with an alternative. But because the bar spread is so impoverished for sea kayaks, the solution involves buying one of their (I think existent) extension systems on top of towers and third party cross bars. It was a while ago I saw it, but the cost was like buying nearly two the rack systems for a single vehicle.

Some, like Subie’s new Outback racks, cannot be managed with a couple of fancier clips. Hence the off-line and more creative solutions that some have worked out here.

Toyota yes, Audi no
looking at the Toyota Rav4 today. Rails look like large crossbar spread possible. Of course, i can;t afford the car that would be perfect for a kayak, Audi Quattro wagon

small side windows
I think that side impact standards are driving that trend- more door and less glass means more room for support. Of course, maybe if you could see better, you wouldn’t need so much protection…

i want the Audi wagon too!
I’ll have to start buying lotto tickets

"Hang up and drive!"
Not arguing with you, but you hit on a sore spot: What difference does the size of side windows make if the driver is staring in his lap anyway?

I see lots of cell phoners who are looking AWAY from the road, as if trying to block out the distraction of driving from their ohsoimportant yapfest. Too many of these to be a coincidence of posture. They’ve made the decision that someone else’s life is less important than their phone conversation.

Too high
Only problem with a pickup is it can be pretty high up to reach the roof racks.

depends on pickup…
the smaller pickups (tacoma, ranger, etc) are short enough still - i built my rack about 5 inches higher than it needed to be and it is easily within reach. I went high to solve the problem of people hitting their head on it. At a slightly lower height most everyone should be able to load/unload boats from it. I’m about 5’ 5".

i agree, the full-size pickups are way too tall for me to do something like that. My tacoma looks like a toy next to some of the bigger trucks.

look closer
The edges of the roof are raised. This is where the feet grasp the car (the other end of the foot goes between the door and door frame).

You should be good to go w/either thule or yakima.

Paddle from the front door…
Sorry - after hurricanes and October snowstorms I couldn’t resist.

But seriously, one of the big changes is that so many people (like us) have 16 and 17 ft plus sea kayaks that are used in many places other than the sea. Hauling that level of boat gets fairly equipment intensive. The cars meanwhile seem to be heading in the other direction.

Why, Celia,
I believe you just made a point for shorter boats ;^)

As long as they are on land…

– Last Updated: Oct-31-11 10:38 AM EST –

Seriously, I like my little old Piedra for stump jumping evening paddles, and while there was precious little WW last season we plan to get back to that this spring. My main WW boat makes the Piedra look like it is an expedition craft. It fits inside the back of my station wagon.

Horses for course - I'd never try to take the Piedra to an offshore island in Maine and the short/long boat, a few inches under 16 ft, comes out unless I have to think about putting a big guy on the back deck.

It's still about the outfitting, which seems to constantly be forgotten. Find me a Swifty with full perimeter line and two bulkheads and maybe I'd suggest taking it further. But of course only a kid could fit inside it then.

Car purchases for racks

– Last Updated: Oct-31-11 11:09 AM EST –

It is not ideal that as a long boat owner (canoes and kayaks), my wife and I have just focused a vehicle purchase quest based on roof rail style vs. car interior and engine specs. Of course the Outback and (its rack-design failure) was immediately crossed off, the CRV fixed 30 inch pads but not rails crossed off, the Forester crossed off for ovrall style not appealing to us, leaving us with long rails on a Rav4, long rails on an Escape, and long rails on a few others. That the Outback and CRV would have been our pick based on overall quality and features if non-paddlers is frustrating to us. of course our budget is also a factor. The Audi wagon might have been perfect for boats, but . . .

012 Jettta dealer got it aYakima Rk.
Try calling Yakima!

My dealer promised me that they could get my Rabbit 08 Roof Rack on my 012 Jetta SE. They found out they were wrong, so they put one of their guys on the trail of what to do for me.

They found one at Yakima and split the oost with me. Then I sold my 2009 VW Rack and was only out $50 when all was said and done.

Yes it appears companies are dumbing down or cheapening the cars, so they can put on other features and not raise the price.

I am loving the Jetta for now but wondering if it is going to be my last VW. In three to five years I’m going to be looking for something a bit bigger. Perhaps it won’t be a Jetta Sportswagon or a Passat Wagon after all.

Good luck with your rack. I think Yakima can help you.

I like the new passat
I think it’s the only affordable midsize you can get with a diesel engine.

VW was facing a dilemma: their cars carried more content than the competition, and the resultant higher price was impacting sales. During the good times that VW added content and convenience, about 1999, the economy was good and people found the greater content a selling point. now they don’t. One has to pick between convenience and cost.

Twilight…
Any possibilities of pictures of your setup?

sure thing, just take me a day or so…
i probably won’t have time to snap pictures until tomorrow (tues) morning so should have picts up later tues afternoon…

no. it’s a design element

my best advice on
how to carry your kayak

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/vehicle-pictures/1993/volvo/240/90904051000101-260.jpg

roofline is way too short!
http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/pictures/1969_Checker_Aerobus.jpg

:wink: