Roof racks on new cars

Repeal all fuel efficiency standards!!!
The push for aerodynamic smoothness is a bad idea!

… it’s all a trade off. You cheered the obama mandate for 54 MPG? Smaller smoother cars is the price you will pay. Over the next several years expect to see cars that do not have the horsepower or payload to pull a trailer or roof box.

red herring alert
The OP was not only incorrect but a bit paranoid. The thule roof rack fits the described car as has been repeated in theis thread umpteen times. If you think roof racks or tow capacity are going to disappear because of fuel economy standards then you’re being ignorant of history - we heard the same rantings back in the 80s - and you have no idea of the money made from rack sales, not to mention trailer sales.

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

ooh
right on, where do I get one?

would that be cool or what?
I remembered these from the old Airport movies.

A wagon for the club - plenty of doors! I wonder if they made checker engines in diesel, for a biofuel conversion?

If You Feed Them, They Will Come
I think the OP accomplished their mission!

Not me
I’d rather cut down on total driving than rely on technology to make the difference. A vehicle that doesn’t do what I need is no solution; it’s just something that makes me look more eco-conscious. Meanwhile, driving fewer miles (and in a more efficient manner) gets NO notice even though it accomplishes the same (fewer emissions, less gas consumed).

Most people waste a lot of gas on junk driving. “Bored so I went out and drove around”…“Didn’t plan my errand route” so went back and forth instead of ganging things by location…Parked at one store, drove car to other store a couple minutes’ walk away etcetc…Idled the engine while jabbering to a neighbor for 30 minutes…Could ride the bike but won’t because it’s 2 miles away!..Drove to put the garbage can at the END OF THE DRIVEWAY, a 50-ft walk [I’ve witnessed neighbors do this repeatedly].

My point is that there’s a lot of fat that could be trimmed elsewhere instead of pressuring manufacturers to come up with a miracle so that Ugly Americans don’t have to make ANY changes in their driving habits. It’ll take many different solutions to solve our resource consumption problems, not just one.

Old hearses
A club in the Denver area spiffs them up for runabout use but keeps the funereal motif.

Could work for transporting long boats on the roof. Room to sleep inside, too.

stretch limo
Here craigslist has a listing for 8k.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2626929752.html

New Subaru Outback Thule Slipstream
I have the Thule Slipstream that I use with the factory Subaru Outback cross rails.

The rails are 30" apart but the Slipstream positions the saddles about 54" apart and it slides back to the rear of the car to make loading and unloading easy with a 57lb fiberglass 17’10" Legend sea kayak.

$285 and worth it.

Lexus ct200h and Whispbar Rack
I have a Lexus CT 200h for 4 months now–great car, the Lexus version of the Prius: 44 MPG, very comfortable, only 2K more than the high end Prius. Perfect for kayaking, but no rack. The solution is a Whispbar rack made by Yakima, who bought the UK company. Very aerodynamic, no noise, minimal impact on mpg, looks great. Whispbar make racks for anything that Yakima fits plus it’ll take most Yakima accessories. I’ve mounted foam blocks for now and will remount J cradles come Spring.