Roof racks

I drive a 2016 Honda Civic and I’m looking for a setup to put on my roof to hold a couple Kaku Wahoo kayaks. What are your favorite items? I’ve looked at crossbars and J-bars on Amazon. Obviously, my #1 priority is safety. I don’t want them falling off my car and slamming into the car behind me while on the interstate. But I also don’t want to spend $500 dollars. Thoughts?

Try https://www.rackattack.com/base-roof-rack-systems/

From some of the threads here, J-bars aren’t the easiest to load.

You’ll also want bow and stern tie downs. You may need hood loops for the bow but should have a tow hook in the rear of your car. http://www.sealsskirts.com/prod_detect.php?i=68

Unless you are Godzilla, you will have a difficult time getting those in a j rack.
I have an 85# Tarpon that I have carried in j racks but won’t do it again. Too much stress on the car and awful in a crosswind.
I think 2 of them is overloading your car.
You need a trailer.

I am not sure how you can manage a really safe rack system without spending a few hundred. Perhaps you should spend more time researching this…

Had to look up the Kaku Wahoo. 10’5" long, 33" wide, 66 pounds. To get more than one on a roof would require putting on side (whether partially on side like in a J rack or all the way on the side like a stacker does) or stacking one on top of another flat (didn’t look in detail at web site, but that doesn’t seem like something they would do well).

With 2 boats, that would be a lot of weight for any rack. I’d stick to a rack from a well known brand name (Thule and Yakima are the two big ones). Not going to be cheap, but best chance for safe.

I’ve seen a rack on a car in the parking lot at work. It’s called “Rhino rack”. Looked well constructed. Pretty sure I saw them at Walmart.
I’ve got a Yakima rack, I bought a piece at a time used on E bay. I’ve had it on three different vehicles over the years. It may be expensive, but it is a long term investment.
“J” cradles aren’t all that bad to load on a car like a Honda Civic. They are a bit of a pain on a tall vehicle.
You’ll need them, or some VERY long crossbars to rack two 33" wide boats.

Make sure to check Craigslist. There seems to be quite a few people selling Thule/Yakima gear. I’ve seen lots of J cradles on there. Just bought a pair of 883 glide and set carriers at much less than half price.

eBay too for used

cheap ones off amazon, they are about 3 years old have a ton of miles with the kayaks on top. They are identical to the attwood branded ones. Just replace the straps every other year or so and check the hardware often or use locktite.

@string said:
Unless you are Godzilla, you will have a difficult time getting those in a j rack.
I have an 85# Tarpon that I have carried in j racks but won’t do it again. Too much stress on the car and awful in a crosswind.
I think 2 of them is overloading your car.
** You need a trailer.
Godzilla had short forearms. But he/she could lift busses with his/her mouth.

What is the towing capacity of a Honda Civic? A small utility trailer with 2x4 racks could be easier to load. But they cost more than your budget, $500.