Rudder Ideas

Hi everyone. I need some help. I got a heck of a deal on an Old Town pack angler. I would really like to add a rudder system of some sort to it or at a bare minimum some sort of skeg. Any ideas out there?

no idea in detail
but some sort of clamp on affair… the tricky part is getting the cabling to your feet pedals… it has to work its way under the gunwales…enter through two holes high in the stern and be enclosed in tubing so it doesnt kink…

I think.

Some rudder installs on canoes
I know of two cases of rudders being added to canoes. The first is written up on canoetripping.net. See http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/forum/general-paddling-discussions/diy/20833-%E2%80%8Bdiy-canoe-rudder

This site often mishandles long links, so you will probably need to copy and paste that URL into your browser.

The second case is, I think, simpler and easier, uses mostly stock parts, and was done by a fellow who works at Annapolis Canoe and Kayak. Call them and ask for Dave, I’m sure he’ll help you out.

Now that I think about it, I believe P-netter waterbearer has installed a rudder along the lines Dave used. Maybe he’ll reply with DIY instructions.

Good luck.

~~Chip

I’m jealous…
…been trying to find that boat for six months…congrats.

it was funny
I was about to give up and go buy a Next, but took a last second look at craigslist and there it was. An hour drive later and I was looking at a $400 used boat with drag damage on both ends but not bad and no leaks. Talked him down quite a bit on price, took it home and filled the holes with gluezilla from northwest canoe(great product and great people) and covered them with Kevlar skid plates. great little boat.

Thanks Chip
I called Annapolis after I got off work and spoke to the man himself and got a great answer and some photos emailed to me. Hopefully P-netter waterbearer sees this and if he has any additional info I can consider that as well before I start buying things and drilling holes.