Sad way, to end 2016

Navy Seal died, after kayak over turns in Chesapeake Bay. This shows cold water can be lethal, regardless of your swimming ability.

Sad indeed. To survive all that training and experience and then lose to a paddling mishap. It should be a reminder to all of us that none of us are Superman/woman and to proceed as mortals.

I am very sorry for the Seal and his family.

Heartbreaking for his family, children, friends, and team. Another report stated he was wearing a PFD but had been in the water for two hours before rescue. At that water temp, I don’t know if even a drysuit would have saved him.

Properly geared up he could survive 47* water for two hours. RIP I am sure he understood the dangers of water temps. Unfortunately many think it will not happen to me I will not be in the water.

CAPE CHARLES, Va. (WAVY) — A missing kayaker who was found Wednesday morning off of the Cherrystone Inlet, near Cape Charles, has died.

The Navy has identified him as Petty Officer 1st Class Devon Grube, a Navy SEAL.

Petty Officer 1st Class Devon Grube and his wife, Margie Grube (Photo courtesy Grube family)
Petty Officer 1st Class Devon Grube and his wife, Margie Grube (Photo courtesy Grube family)
Grube was a Special Warfare Operator 1st Class with the East Coast Naval Special Warfare unit. He enlisted in 2005 and had several awards and decorations, including the Joint Service Commendation Medal, the Army Commendation Medal, two Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medals, the Good Conduct Medal, the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon and the NATO Medal.

The Coast Guard says it was notified around 9:20 a.m. Wednesday that two kayakers had overturned two miles off the coast. It was later confirmed that one kayaker was missing, and the other was not in distress and helped with the search.

Coast Guard officials say the water temperature was about 46 degrees Wednesday morning. They said anyone would start to lose the use of their limbs within several minutes of being in water that cold.

“Your body, you know, starts to shut down and you suffer hypothermic symptoms,” said Petty Officer Corrine Zilnicki, with the Coast Guard.

The Coast Guard says rescue crews launched at 9:22 a.m. Grube was found unconscious around 11 a.m. He was taken to the hospital, where he died Thursday, according to Navy officials.

Grube’s family released a statement Thursday, thanking the community for support.

The Grube family would like to extend their gratitude to the community for their interest in our beloved Devon. Thank you to those who showed up to look for him. He was a devoted father, a true professional and a wonderful husband. We will not be doing any on camera interviews at this time. We will contact you if it is something we would like to do in the future. We ask for your privacy and once again we appreciate your interest.”
A donation fund has been set up for the family. If you’d like to contribute, click here.