Safety Cables

I appreciate that nothing will deter a determined thief, but how do you use a safety cable to attach a SINK to a roof rack? With a SOT you can just run the cable thru a scupper hole, but what’s the attachment point for a SINK. I know some have built-in metal bars for that purpose, but mine doesn’t.

If this isn’t practical, what’s the preferred method for protecting your SINK if you have to leave it for an extended period on a roof rack?

Thanks

Anchor Points
On one of our plastic boats, a cable can be passed thru openings in the seat. On our VOLKSKAYAKs, which are marine ply construction, we’ve installed stainless steel eyebolts in the aft bulkheads, and pass the cable thru these.

I use the eye pad in the stern that
holds my carry handle.

You could also just feed it through the carry handles themselves.

A pro crook will disable anyting you have anyway.

I just try to keep the novices at bay!

Cheers,

JackL

Simple, no mods needed method
Just run a standard cable lock behind one of the cheek plates beside the seat, then around the rack. That will keep the casual thief at bay.

Lasso Security cables
We have the Kong style and like these alot for our touring kayaks. Too thick for sit on top scuppers though. Was discounted thru Pnet membership when we bought them.

U-bolt
I put a stainless steel U-bolt in the back deck.

Safety Cable
My thanks to all.

that is it.
a 3/16 or 1/4 cable under the seat and around the bar, or in through the car window if you are parked in a hard area.

lock it to a stearing wheel and there you have it.

i normally don’t lock my boat at all, i lost some keys a while ago and it ruined the trip.

the capella is insured.

Lasso, u-bolts

– Last Updated: Mar-01-10 2:35 PM EST –

I use Lassos. Just need to make sure that you take out the slack in the cable. They only work if the loop can not be slipped off the end.

In my older kayak, there is a metal u-bolt where the toggles are. I have locked to that with a simple cable.

My boats all have removable seats, so nothing there to lock to.

You could possibly lock to skegg or rudder cables - Yes they could cut it to get the boat, but that makes the boat less valuable to the thief. Downside is that if they do play around and decide not to take the boat, you could have a damaged cable.

Similarly, you could remove hatch covers and other removable items, so that if the thief gets the boat, it is more expensive to make usable (lowering value to thief).

I have also thought you could use a steering wheel lock inside the cockpit or hatch opening and lock to that. Never tried it, but should work.

I just ordered two Lasso lock’s
for an upcoming trip to Florida from New York. It is unlikely that we will need them but I want to have them in case. I don’t expect they will keep anyone who really wants our kayaks from getting them but it may discourage those thinking about it. I looked at the locking tie-downs as well but these seem better suited for my needs.

it depends on your boat
I’ve got a rotomolded boat in which the seat pan is a single continuation from the combing, down to the seat, and then back up again. So I just put a cable around one of the hip pads and attach the other end to my roof rack. Once, when my lock had rusted out and no longer worked, I just fed the dead end back into my boat and it just looked like it was locked!

That’s a good point!

– Last Updated: Mar-02-10 10:50 AM EST –

The appearance of being locked is probably just as effective as an actual lock, as nobody is likely to investigate whether the cable is actually connected to anything.

Although I have lasso locks, I rarely ever use them unless I have to leave the boat on the roof overnight. A 17'-19' sea kayak is not exactly an "impulse theft", as you can't just throw it in a pickup truck and drive off. You need some form of rack and you have to tie the boat down, which takes time that thieves are not likely to want to spend. It's different with shorter rec and whitewater boats, which are easily transported, hence more likely to be stolen.

Points to ponder
The observation that a dedicated thief can overcome most security cables is a valid concern. My hypothesis is to keep all boats locked when on the vehicle, and the more individual locking systems the better.

I spend time puttering in the shop, making various accessories for my boats. I routinely shorten 1/4" SS bolts to fit various applications, and I can verify that a good cromoly hacksaw blade will cut through a bolt in a distressingly short time. Of course, sawing a U-bolt on a boat on a roorrack is going to take longer than sawing one clamped in a vise at waist level.

My point is, make a thief’s job as difficult as possible. Multiple levels of security piled up can be intimidating to a smash-and-grabber.

Jim

Security for Kayak on a car
I mounted a sealing Ubolt assembly from West Marine on the deck behind several of my kayaks ( sit in side and SOT). I then place epoxy on the threads and cover with tubing to make it difficult to unbolt. I attach a toggle handle to the ubolt which helps me control my larger kayaks, especially tandems, on the Rollerloader and slide on my roof racks from the rear. I put my locking cable thru the Ubolt when kayaks are on my car for security. If you position the Ubolt carefully, you can also use it to attach a spare canoe paddle, etc.