Sailing Solo Canoe?

Hi, folks. I’m thinking about trying to sail my Hemlock Peregrine. I’ve already got the Spring Creek outriggers and so I guess their sailing kit would make the most sense. I hate the price but don’t know if I could build a setup myself. But mostly…

Does anyone who sails canoes know whether this solo would work as a sailing canoe? It’s 16 ft long and narrow but the outriggers give it incredible stability.

Any/all wisdom is greatly appreciated.

I dont see why not
especially if you are going to attach the outriggers. My only concern is that the outriggers they sell would really slow you down as the leeward one was driven deeper into the water by the pressure on the sail.

sailing Peregrine
A canoe works better for sailing if there is considerable rocker to help in turning. Hugh Horton used to convert the Bell Starfire hull into a sailing canoe for a number of reasons with the rocker being very important. He is now developing his own plywood design (plans available) as Starfire hulls were quite expensive and are no longer available.

My impression of the Peregrine (from owning a Curtis Nomad) is that it’s a tracking hull with little rocker. I may be wrong and more rocker may have added in the evolution from Nomad to Peregrine. If the Peregrine has the same rocker as the Nomad, I think you will find it hard to turn. In other words it will work, but not well. You will find more enjoyment starting with a hull with more rocker.

What is said above is concerning only sailing the Peregrine; every comment I’ve read from owners state it’s a fine paddling canoe.

Dave

Better Off Building Your Own

– Last Updated: Jul-08-07 1:53 PM EST –

I can't answer about the Perigrine.
But I think the Spring Creek sailing kit has some serious drawbacks.
The paddle blade as Lee board doesn't give you enough area in the water and the lee board works much better if you make it a foil.
The steering oar is going to be difficult to use unless you have really long arms.
If you have not already seen them I highly recommend Todd Bradshaw's book "Canoe Rig" as well as the Yahoo Sailing Canoe Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sailing_canoes/
I get a huge amount of inspiration from the photos there.

Good Luck,
Tommy
My Osprey
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2272760670046511771JBdMwY?vhost=outdoors

My Explorer
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2926062400063026580Xstnpe?vhost=sports

Thanks
Thanks, guys. This info helps a lot. I’ll take a look at those resources.

some more ideas for you

– Last Updated: Jul-08-07 10:30 PM EST –

I haven't sailed my canoe yet but have been assembling a lot of information on how to do it and now have a sail rig about half-way built.

Agree with Tommy's comment - Canoe Rig by Todd Bradshaw is a great place to start. another good resource is the ACA National Sailing web page. They also have a booklet that you can order with a lot of helpful information.

I also own a Hemlock Peregrine, but I would not want to start sailing in this boat as it is rather narrow and has a relatively low waterline. I'm going to start with my Old Town Penobscot 16. It is wider, deeper, and longer, which will all help with sailing. Also the gunwales on the Peregrine are a bit narrow, which might not be best for your sail rig, whatever design you choose. I see in your profile that you also own a Mad River Explorer. This would be a better choice for your first sailing canoe - wider, deeper and a bit longer.

I'm not sure, but I suspect that your outriggers may sit low and interfere with the Peregrine's sailing ability. If the boat leans and one outrigger is in the water, you now have a huge rudder amidships pulling you away from the wind. They would sit higher on your Explorer.

I also took a look at the Spring Creek equipment, but decided that it was too crude and ugly to put on a beautiful boat.

Another option to consider in a kit is the BSD design. See website below.

http://www.baloghsaildesigns.com/aboUs.html

Also, watch you local ads, craigslist, and p.net adds for used sailing kits. They do show up more often that you might think.

Good luck.

Perigrine
Just a counterpoint to all of the folks naysaying the Perigrine as a sailing canoe.

There are more than a few people out there sailing 16- 17 foot sea kayaks. Add some outriggers and have at it.

I have to admit though my Explorer sails better than my Osprey. Well except in light air the Osprey sails better.

I say go for it.

Tommy

it’s all relative

– Last Updated: Jul-10-07 12:28 AM EST –

canoes aren't good sailboats. end of story.

if you're used to sailing lasers, 470s, etc., you'll be highly disappointed in sailing a canoe, regardless of sail shape, pontoons, etc.

canoes are canoes. sailboats are sailboats. having said that, there is a middle ground, of sorts.

in the end, have fun; and never listen to someone the likes of me. don't listen to that other guy, either. he's full of BS. me, i'm just full.

chad19