Sandpiper 12 vs Skylark 12

Hi guys, been researching sit inside kayaks; I currently have a Caribbean 12 (2009) sit on top and love it!, and sit on top is the only kayaking I have done; However lately when I go out with my gal pals they all have sit inside ( various brands & lengths 10-12’) and they seem to go faster with less effort, so I’m thinking about trying one. Weight is of course a factor, but more concerned with stability and maneuverability. I want to go faster with less effort :slight_smile: but not be tippy. Sandpiper or Skylark, will it be noticeably faster?

Good technique will get you moving faster with less effort. Have you ever had a forward stroke lesson? Here’s a good primer to watch:

6 Likes

thanks Rookie, I will watch the video :slight_smile:

1 Like

With most sit insides you will be faster than a comparable SOT. There is less hull in contact with the water.
Try a couple of your friend’s. You get over the perceived lack of stability very quickly.

2 Likes

Play to win.

2 Likes

The video was very informative! I can see I do not keep my arms in the box properly, thank you.

Thank you PaddleDog52, curious why you are featuring the Equinox over the two in my comparison?
I didn’t mention but I do a lot of kayaking in the marshes so would I have to worry much about maneuverability with a 14’ over a 12’?

I am not PD but I paddle marshes every summer and fall in a 16’ SOT. I also paddle swamps and rivers.
Maneuverability is primarily a paddler controlled function. Tracking boats, like sit insides , might be a bit harder to turn until you know how.
The only times maneuverability has been an issue for me is when a sharp turn is needed and a strong current is involved.
You can find those conditions in the marsh but you can easily plan around them with a tide table.

2 Likes

14’’ is faster, more sea worthy, 25" beam so very stable. The hull I think most people would keep longer and grow into. Not just speed but better glide between strokes when cruising. I don’t see any problem turning it either. Few pounds heavier but still very light. My partner has a Eddyline Journey and it goes quite nicely.

3 Likes

I second PaddleDog52’s thoughts here. And… I happen to have an Equinox for sale. And… I am heading your way this weekend and could deliver.

2 Likes

I’ve had an Equinox for about a year now and I really like it. Your Caribbean is a nice boat, but they do not paddle that good. The hull on the Caribbean is designed more for stability than speed. It’s a great fishing kayak. The Equinox will be faster and will require a LOT less effort to paddle. The Equinox will not be as stable as your Caribbean, but as String said you’ll get used to it very quickly. You should watch the review in Wormdevil’s ad. It’s a very good review.

1 Like

The extra couple of feet will make the boat go faster more easily and will allow you, if you want, to learn more kayaking skills, like edging and bracing. Once you get used to it you’ll very likely be happy you went with the slightly longer and more capable boat. And if you were considering buying new, then you could snap up the Equinox offered above for about the same price. I bet pretty much everyone on here who had $1500 for an Eddyline would grab that Equinox over the Skylark or the Sandpiper. I certainly
would!

Though if you do decide to go with a longer boat, if you’re a smaller person, you might be even happier with the Sitka ST.

3 Likes

That is a very solid deal.

1 Like

Unbelievably kind and awesome!! :partying_face:

1 Like

Thank you for your advice, I watched the video and it is very informative, obviously the Equinox is a good choice so now on my list :slight_smile: :wink:

2 Likes

If you’re thinking of new I just left my kayak shop Empire Kayaks NY they have 35 Eddylines on order. Can’t get anymore orders in for a year. Same with Hobie’s which they sell a ton of also. Same with other brand but I forgot the brand. Don’t delay if you’re looking or find used one like above.

1 Like

Ok just so everyone on here knows, I’m going to be the proud owner of Wormdevil’s Equinox!!! Thank you all for your input and helping me decide. I’m really glad I came on here to ask because I hadn’t considered the Equinox and it appears to be the right choice, thanks again to all!

8 Likes

I’m tentatively scheduled to paddle there in the latter half of October. Maybe we can paddle the inlet. We usually launch at the oyster shell recycling place.

2 Likes

I think you made the right choice. I think you’ll not grow out of it. Now tell your friends part ways you’re coming through!

2 Likes

Would love to, please let me know the details when you have them :slight_smile:

1 Like