Sawyer Superior Shockwave Solo?

Hello, Has anyone use the Shockwave as light tripper cruiser?

Hellbender has one with a rudder.
He’s posted about it somewhere on p.net in the last month.

Sure!

– Last Updated: Aug-24-10 8:47 PM EST –

Back in the mid 90's I used one in the BWCA. It was, for it's day, which is way past, an outstanding sit and switch tripper that, when heeled, would lift it's stems nicely.

Bell's Magic and WeNoNah's Prism are better handling hulls in the same catagory due to the modern inclusion of bow rocker.

I cannot imagine installing a rudder when a paddling lesson would be both cheaper, lighter on portage, and way less fragile. Shock is a ten strokes a side hull. The main reason for adding a rudder is to improve that at the cost of an additional 1.5% drag? Probably not!

Maybe the rudder pitched the hull a little down by the stern, which would compensate for it's lack of useful bow rocker, but I'd think a wad of Silly Putty would do the same thing without the extra drag? Who knows?

Well, That Particular Shockwave…
…is being used by a guy that bought it for “Big Water” racing on the MO and Mississippi. I know the guy, he’s a good paddler. Just bought it that way for efficiency and speed. WW

MR 340
Isn’t he currently doing the 340? I thought I saw a picture of it at the start.

Fast Tripper?
Any other options for a fast tripper?

I Think
Can’t remember when they rescheduled it too, but he and Joewildlife here on P.net both have done it and were to paddle it again this year. To each his own, paddling big rivers at night and cat-napping in my boat is not MY cup of tea (LOL)! WW

It started over 15 hours ago.

Sure
Savage River and Newman design along with Magic and several Wenonah designs.

MO 340
Just looked through some pics of the start and found one of Dave and his Shockwave and Joe with my old Monarch (I still can’t bear to call it HIS (LOL)). I saved the pic here. WW

http://www.pbase.com/ozarkpaddler/image/127805029

Clipper Freedom
The Savage River canoes look very slick. Clipper canoes also makes the Freedom, I know little about it.

Shockwave.
YES !!!

The Shockwave is a terrific design. Refer to a previous post on tripping out of an Advantage.

Yes just got back from the 340 w/mine

– Last Updated: Aug-28-10 4:38 AM EST –

This is Hellbender Dave and what perfect timing for that question. The boat mentioned above just carried me to a unsupported 11th place finish (solo div) in the MR340 yesterday. Unsupported means I raced with no ground crew and carried all supplies for 340 miles in the boat (light tripping). I believe my shockwave was the first "regular" solo canoe to finish the race ie all solos ahead of me were either surfskis, safari style unlimited solos an epic 18 sea kayak and 2 seawinds. The shockwave is a comfortable and efficient cruiser.
CE I enjoy your posts and value your opinion when I read it but I am gonna have to disagree with you re """I cannot imagine installing a rudder when a paddling lesson would be both cheaper, lighter on portage, and way less fragile. Shock is a ten strokes a side hull. The main reason for adding a rudder is to improve that at the cost of an additional 1.5% drag?"""
Theres a reason all ten of those solo boats on the deck when I arrived after 340 miles have rudders on them and I dont think any of those paddlers are needing lessons on their form or stroke. Were talking 340 miles in 40-50 hours....

To see the canoe in question go to superior canoes dot com click on shockwave mine is the camo one (yes I am a hillbilly and my favorite color is camo). Scott will take care of you if you wanna order a new one.

Terry great pix from the start by the way. Where did you find them? Joe did great in the monarch finishing right behind me with fifty something hours. Wish you wouldnt a hooked him up with the monarch as I cant keep ahead of him anymore…

Congrats on that great finish!
I’m glad that the Shockwave is working out for you, even though I think that you should’ve bought my ruddered Summersong :slight_smile:

Surprisingly, camo looks good on your
Shockwave. I certainly wouldn’t be embarrassed paddling that boat. I bet it’s a chick magnet.

The Summersong

– Last Updated: Aug-28-10 6:24 PM EST –

I seriously thought about it but was concerned the Summersong might be a tad small for me. I am a big feller and I find myself often paddling boats at or just over their recommended load weights. I was afraid that woulda been the case with the SS but I gotta admit I woulda liked to paddle it. Hmmm -How much does it weigh?

And to get back to the topic - I highly recommend the shockwave as a light fast tripper. Sure its an old school hull but she cruises well and comfortably and if those two things are important to you shes a keeper....