Science behind the sport

Some really good stuff here from West Virginia University for all those new to the sport and anyone interested in brushing up on the basics.
https://sciencebehindthesport.wvu.edu/paddling
Good graphics, clear writing, and science based info … so unlike most of the redundant, long winded piffle on the internet that is designed primarily to make us see as many ads as possible and to advance bought-and-paid-for opinions without regard for facts. Thanks Mountaineers!

Interesting that the science writer does not seem to understand that kayak paddling with its recommended torso rotation uses the abdominal muscles and also makes significant use the legs.

Concur. Also the diagram of the paddlers box shows it in a vertical orientation…I’ve never seen or heard of anything like that. The paddlers box is better displayed as a horizontal box that is maintained.

I found that I can put race between the pegs and thigh braces or relax with my legs in the bottom of the boat. Little effect on speed.

@kayakhank - I was thinking that too, but then I couldn’t find a better diagram showing the box in a horizontal orientation. Admittedly, I only looked a few mins, but if you’ve found one you like I’d be interested seeing it.
@rsevenic - Agreed. Not including the core and leg muscles is a shortcoming. Perhaps the authors were worried about over-complicating things as they’re targeting entry-level readers, but that seems lame. Better to start off working toward a good technique than to develop habits that need fixing later.
Thanks.

Lots of good information available on thescienceofpaddling.net. i think the author is about to release a book.

As Jyak always says, it’s helpful to understand the theoretical physics behind our sport and heck, calculus is just fun.

1 Like

My post was supposed to say I can put my legs flat on the bottom without using the pegs.

Understood, thanks.