scotty strap-on rod mount for a sit in?

i’m looking for a “drill-free” solution for a rod-mount for my sit in kayak.

i’ve seen a wrap-around type strap-on rod mount for float tubes. i believe cabelas has an exclusive on it. it’s made by scotty.

i’m wondering if this can be adapted for a kayak with longer straps?

i know that the straps would drag a bit in the water but that’s not toomuch of a concern for me.

any thoughts?

Sure…
I’m not familiar with the Cabela’s item you’re talking about but I have two thoughts anyway…

1. If you’re just a semi-serious fisherman you can do a lot of fishing without a rod holder. When I’m moving short distances I usually put the butt of the rod either under my butt so that the rod points almost straight over the bow or under my knee so the rod points generally toward the stern.

2. If you’re willing to add three “inch worms” or eyelets you can make a little fishing deck that mounts easily. The only permenant modification is the addition of the little inchworms. Mine kinda looks like homeplate. It’s made from an old highway sign (aluminum) and has a Ram Tube Rod Holder mounted on it. Works great.

E-mail me if you want more info and/or pics.

3. If the bottom of your coaming would accept two small c-clamps you might be able to make a ‘T’ out of short pieces of 1" x 4"s’ Maybe 4" high with a 3.5" x 3" crosspiece on top that you could mount a Scotty Rod Holder to. Of course, you’d use another small piece of with the C’clamps to keep them from ruining your coaming.

Zat help?

Rod holder
I’m not to keen on drilling holes in my kayak either unless there’s a good reason. Though I love to fish a rodholder is not a good enough reason for me.

I place the rod between my legs and let the tip rest on the forward lip of the kayak for the most part. If I’m trolling I tuck the butt under my calf and pass the rod tip under my arm so that it is angled off to the back either left or right. You will know the second a fish hits this way! If I’m carrying more than one rod I usually secure the second rod in my paddle holding bungee. That works pretty good as long as you position the reel to not interfere with your paddle stroke.

I tried it
It doesn’t work. The rod holder is too flimsy, it kinda flops around.I already had one that i bought for my float tube.Not sure why you don’t want to install the scotty rod holder. It’s only two bolts and it is easily detached from it’s base when not in use.You could probably come up with some kind of clamping system but it won’t be bomb proof and do you want to risk losing your equipment overboard?

Bungees
Use your bungees to hold a padded board. Padded side down. Cut or shape the padding to fit the boat. Attach the rod holder to the board.

If you are using a rec boat with a long cockpit, clamp a board accross the front of the cockpit. Make sure you dont put it too far back and trap yourself.

Yak a Lou inspired

– Last Updated: Sep-23-04 12:02 AM EST –

I looked at Yak a Lou's inventions last year and built a plywood rod holder deck for my Pungo that fits over & under the comb and bungees to the front grab loop; as mentioned in other postings this set up has helped me land a few 35" stripers (and pesky dog fish and sculpins)it has held up for two seasons. This year I finally had to drill holes in my deck after the Marine Patrol & US Coast Guard converged on me for not having a 360° visible light....