Scratch protection

Rookie, looks good for journeying, but caution when you get serious about rolling, or if you get into surf. The more tightened down and centered approach you see on Roy’s rear deck is more stabile.

@Celia said:
Rookie, looks good for journeying, but caution when you get serious about rolling, or if you get into surf. The more tightened down and centered approach you see on Roy’s rear deck is more stabile.

regarding that:
Early on in my paddling days, I remember someone telling me not to trust anything secured by bungees because the will come out in heavy conditions.
Wise advise, until I discovered ‘olive cleats’
https://nautos-usa.com/products/shock-cord-olive-cleat-hpn268-self-locking-5-to-7-mm-shock-cord
(olive clip in Aus. - http://www.kayakshopaustralia.com.au/olive-clip-5mm/)

I’ve used them on several long distance trips - involving daily surf (some heavy) to cinch the bungee holding the paddle to the deck. (using 6mm or 1/4 inch bungee)

btw, I don’t trust velcro attaching (some testing in surf with the ‘Paddle Britches’)

Raisins
Cool, l didn’t know about these. Do l get it correctly that they need to be attached within arm reach to be clinched?

@Monkeyhead said:
Roy, off subject but i really like the look of your boat. What model is that? Too soon for me to get another boat but might want to try to demo one if the opportunity arises.

@roym said:
I just use a piece of tube over the forward bungee. Works fine I use the clear tubing

it grips the paddle blade and also stands the bungee up enabling the slide under it

It’s an Valley Anas Acuta 1987. a small not on using tubing over the forward bungee as a paddle hold method. I use clear surgical tube and it’s important as to which way the bungee is threaded thru the side cletes. If you thread it from rear to forward into each clete, the bungee/tubing stands up farther as you put the paddle under it and also retains the paddle better …if you put the bungee/tubing the other way , it tends to want to fold forward/flat when you go to push the paddle under it.

@Celia said:
Raisins
Cool, l didn’t know about these. Do l get it correctly that they need to be attached within arm reach to be clinched?

not sure I understand the question, but I’ll guess:

yes, once tightened down, I can get to the paddle (each half - on rear deck) and pull them out without releasing from the cleats. (I did practice to make sure was feasible). Note: once pulled out - they can’t be put back on (cannot reach the far cleats).

Never had to use under ‘conditions’, though, once, in calm seas, in the dark (pre-dawn), my paddle decided to leave me (paddle-park failure), did not see or hear it leave. I accessed the spare without incident (though seas were calm, I was drifting uncomfortably close to the surf zone).

Thanks for the tip. FWIW, I purchased some and just placed it on my truck in a spot where my kayak invariably rubs when I load and offload and, as a result, has started to accumulate some scratches. Eager to see how it holds up, but seems like a nice solution.

@gstamer said:
Clear “helicopter tape” works great (the name apparently came from using similar tape to protect the edges of helicopter blades). Racers often use it to prevent scratches where the paddle often touches the hull at the catch. I use it for that, and to prevent scratches from spare paddles, etc. I place strategic strips of the tape wherever scratches and wear is expected on the deck. You can remove or replace it easily. The product I use is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TR6EW2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I prefer the 4" width tape).

Rather than apply dry, it’s usually easier to apply by first cleaning the surface of your kayak and applying the tape after wetting the back with a solution of water with a few drops of dish soap – this lets you move the piece around to exactly where you want it and then squeegee out any air bubbles (an old credit card or similar works very well).

Greg Stamer

gstammer - can you cut that tape with sharp sizzers to fit odd places on deck?

@rpg51 said:
gstammer - can you cut that tape with sharp sizzers to fit odd places on deck?

Notifications only work if you add an “@” in front of the name of the person you’re referencing. Like your name is listed in the quote. Also need to get the name right.

That said, yes you can cut helicopter tape into whatever size fits your needs. It’s good protection against deck scratches.

It’s working great on my truck (in reference to my post 3 above this one) and also on the deck of my boat where my spare paddle sits. Mine is cut to various shapes.

Is helicopter tape the same stuff that 3M makes for protecting car paint? My truck came with some patches of it near the lower fender areas (not nearly enough coverage). I bought some from an auto detailing shop to put on my kayak as well as on the front edge of two truck hoods where bow tiedowns would contact the paint,

The hard part was buying it. At that time, the only way to get it was from a shop that was willing to sell some, or in precut small patches sold in auto parts stores.

@pikabike
Think so. This is the link Greg originally posted. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TR6EW2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon also sells the 3M tape you mentioned: https://tinyurl.com/y2m6hyre

That second one is the stuff I used, It holds up very well. Too bad the rolls were not available retail at the time I bought some. My truck’s rocker panels could have used 100% coverage, thanks to all the gravel and rock chips. The Rocky Mountains, indeed. The rolls the shops got came much longer, I think more than a hundred feet.

_“What, if anything, do you use on your deck to keep your spare paddle from scratching it?”
_
Scratches on the deck?
I just sand and re-coat them when I do the bottom scratches. :wink: