Scupper Pro / RTM Tempo for Big guy?

I’m considering the purchase of a RTM Tempo (aka: Scupper ProTW) SOT, for day use on the Great Lakes and Gulf Coast, to suplement my Prijon Kodiak which is great for tripping, but not so great for fishing, snorkling etc. I’m concerned I may be pushing the size/weight capacity of the Scupper/Tempo, and am not interested in a “barge” for fishing. I’m 6’4" x 250. I want to avoid a composite boat (SOT) due to cost and abuse factors, and don’t want to go to the heavier boats which may be more appropriately sized for me, due to wrestling up on car top (age is becoming a factor as well!). Any big guys out there paddling a Scupper/Tempo and happy with the performance? I don’t have the option to test paddle prior to purchase (NO RTM dealers in Great Lakes area). Anyone over 225lbs with first hand experience? Thanks!

Great Lakes and Gulf Coast?

– Last Updated: Feb-16-10 8:13 PM EST –

Are referencing the Gulf of Mexico? If so that is going to be a well traveled SOT.

If you can I would check out the RTM Midway.

http://www.rtmkayaks.com/products/sit-on-top/midway

And here is a review.

http://www.ftlauderdaleyakfishingclub.org/midway/rtmmidway.html

You’re tall enough that you’ll need something in the 15 foot range or more. I’d suggest a Prowler 15 or Tarpon 160. You weigh about 20lbs more than me so the Prowler is going to be the drier of the two while you’re sitting in it. The Tarpon may hold a little water.

SECOND THE P-15/T-160 SUGGESTIONS…

– Last Updated: Feb-19-10 10:18 AM EST –

I'm 6-0, 205-210#, and my Scupper-Pro Tankwell (TW) runs just right with me and a bit of a load. I would imagine at 250 plus load you'll not exceed weight limits per se for this venerable SOT design, but may exceed the 'better' handling characteristics it provides.

I tried and was quite impressed with the Prowler 15 -it covered almost all the positives of th S-Pro, plus had improved speed and the finer entry I'd always hoped for in the original, and I think it will offer you good speed (better than the OK speed of the S-Pro) and improved handling as well.

While I personally didn't appreciate the 'big & wide', flattish-decked design of the T-160, and found it significantly harder to turn than the better-rockered and appreciably shorter (14'9" vs. 15'11" for the T-160) S-Pro, there are several good paddlers I know who have/started out in one and who think it's an excellent SOT. Current versions have a TW in the back -which I prefer for on-water ease-of-access to stowed items -but earlier ones are twin-hatch models, which others prefer because it provides more internal storage. It's also about 10-12 pounds heavier.

The Hurricane Phoenix series are almost identical to the T-160 in design, made of thermo-formed, vacu-molded plastic (their proprietary mix is called Trylon) which is really tough stuff. Sally's Hurricane Tracer is made of the same stuff, and has held up excellently in our South Florida sun, and in our sharp oolitic limestone and coral-rock-littered beaches and bottoms. It looks like fiberglass, but wears like iron -or at least as well as the rest of our plastic boats, and the Tracer still shines like new when we clean it up. The stuff is lighter than conventional LPE/XLPE plastics, too, so it'll be easier to carry and tote around, a definite plus in my book.

The best bet? See if you can get an in-water test, in a pool now, or later, in warmer temps, at a lake or at the beach, to compare contrast among your candidates to see which one seems better to you for you to

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

Touring SOT
Thanks for the help. That Phoenix is worth a look. I currently have a Prowler 15 in addition to my Prijon Kodiak. I’m dreaming of a performance mix of the two in a SOT to accomidate fishing. The Prowler is great for fishing/diving/playing…but a brute to load/unload and more importantly, a real bear when you have to make mileage into a stiff wind (15-20K) and hefty chop (2’-3’). The Kodiak will go anywhere with a good turn of speed, but not so great for fishing. The T-160 is just too dang heavy to consider, especially since I have the Prowler. I could solve the loading issue with a trailer or load assist but…dreaming of a nice SOT that will perform in real distance paddling, and still light enough to load. The Seda Revenge may be the ticket, but…just like the RTM boats, no dealers in the Great Lakes area, and now Seda has dropped the Revenge (imagine a nice light kevlar showing up used!!). Thanks to the info from FrankNC, a whole new list of dream machines has opened up. I’ve always stayed away from composite, not only due to cost, but also don’t want to worry about rocks, oyster bars etc. However, now that weight is becoming more of a factor, it looks like the investment makes more sense, especially when looking at the performance a composite SOT can provide as well. How about that Kaskazi Pelican!!! Be still my heart! Thanks all, you’ve been a big help. Happy paddling!

You are right on the Tarpon
My original model Tarpon 160 is my favorite kayak on the water. It is so comfortable I rarely feel the need to stop and get out and stretch when paddling with others when they do it every hour or two.

It is fast enough in flat water that a friend said we were making 5 mph for a while. I usually paddle about 4 to 4.5 mph even in faster boats and that lets me averafge 3 to 3.5 mph for a day.

It punches oput through surf well and catches small waves for a lot of fun.

It is a wide sea pig that you can stand up in…28 inches!

BUT it weighs ONE MILLION POUNDS…OK actually about 80 pounds I think…I’ve sen it advertised between 63 and 73 pounds…They Lie!

The Hurricane is similar but not as comfortable and the seat seems too high and dry for me.