Scupper Pro TW Reincarnated!

I am anathema to
spare athletic grace so I’m glad the boat has it. I haven’t discovered it yet but I’m working on it.

I can confirm Sing does have enough for guests. Much appreciated on my last trip out East. What a host!

A friend of mine bought one of the first gen 14’ Swell boats, and I believe he had it replaced under warranty for something (drain related, I think). I’ve asked him for an update, and will forward it on if he responds.

I enjoyed our paddle and the meal after. Hope you two enjoyed the trip up to the White Mtns.

That would suck if the new fangle drain doesn’t work. I remember surfing the RTM Disco and the tippiness of the boat when the cockpit got filled on a breaking wave. It took some seconds, but the water would inevitatably drain on its own and stability was restored. I’m a bit skeptical about the Swell Scupper 14’s instruction to paddle at 4 mph for about 30 seconds to get the draining action to happen. It would be a tippy sprint for a good 10 seconds if not more to get some stability if the cockpit is very swamped. Folks would need good integration of forward and bracing strokes!

sing

We can only make do with what we are granted. Can’t ask for more. The virtue is in the trying/doing. :slightly_smiling_face:

sing

1 Like

@sing - seems if the cockpit was very swamped, the scuppers would work to drain any water that was above the outside water level, even if not moving. Gravity should work for that. Only to drain the water that is below water level would you need the movement.

Seems my friend also had issues with the weight and on the drains and holding the speed needed - here is what my friend said:

I found they boat too heavy for me to cartop easily - heavier than they said it would be pre-production (I think mine is 70#’s). The self-baling scupper plugs don’t work well at slower speeds, either. I have a hard time paddling fast enough, long enough to empty the boat.

On the plus side, it is a drier ride than a Scupper Pro and it is fairly fast and stable.

That being said, they are now making them with a different plastic and process that is said to make them lighter. For a good fishing kayak, it is still light. They redesigned the scupper plugs and I haven’t used them much, but my feelings about them hasn’t changed in the times that I have paddled with them.

They have been good about standing behind their product.

RTM also makes a version of the old OK Scupper Pro, marketed as the Tempo.

I had a boat with self draining scuppers that required more speed than I could sustain . It moved on.
One of the great things about the Tarpon 160 is the scuppers are open and the seat pan is high enough that you aren’t sitting in a puddle. At 240 # + water has never stayed in the boat.

Right you are. Am/was trying to support US made. (But only if the product is as good or better than a product made overseas.) For the record, love my RTM Disco. I haven’t seen an American equivilent of that SOT.

sing

1 Like

That wasn’t clear to me. Part of the marketing is that the Swell Scupper 14 is “more stable” (and thus faster) because the the main part of the cockpit by the legs is “three inches below the water line.” Would love more clarification on this.

sing

I thought the Swell Scupper was built in S Africa?

@Castoff mentioned PaddleYak, which is South African. Swell was working on design in Bellingham, WA and is apparently manufacturing in Iowa, according to their website.

sing

@Sing I see that on their website now. The boats were built in SA for a few years though.

My old Scupper Pro in Florida, like almost 20 years ago. (Had to dig out an old laptop for these… )

It still has life at my brother’s place down there, albeit sun-bleached and sand pitted. I replaced the hatch buckles and bungees for him last time I visited.

I had an RTM Disco as well, which I sold (somewhat to my regret)when I got an offer I couldn’t refuse–Almost twice what I paid for it. Se la vie!

The new Swell 14 doesn’t interest me because of the bulk/weight. But the 12 definitely does. As an all around fun rec boat, it’s lifting weight is right at my cut off point–As my day’s of cartop schlepping long plastic tourers are over. (I must be getting old😜) And I’ll gladly sacrifice the little extra glide difference from the 14.

1 Like

Hey, pretty cool ole pics!!! Yours was the Scupper Pro vs the Scupper Pro TW (tank well). The difference is that your ole Scupper Pro was targeted those who want to touring/camping and want the “protection” of two enclosed hatches (not bulkheads). My Scrupper Pro TW has the opened “tank well” space in the back to carry scuba equipment and/or to crated fishing gear. When I go Island camping with the scupper pro TW, I have to use drybags (or garbage bags) for stuff in the back that I need/want to keep dry.

“I had an RTM Disco as well, which I sold (somewhat to my regret)when I got an offer I couldn’t refuse–Almost twice what I paid for it. Se la vie!”

The RTM Disco is a sweet, playful daytripping SOT. For its 14’x24", it only weighs around 50 lbs. It was/is pretty easy for me to cartop and lug down to the beach break.

sing

I like the Disco but the elephant on a bicycle comes into play.

Yes, I really dug the Disco at the time, but I weighed over 200 lbs. back then–So I thought myself maybe a little too big for it. Especially with a full dry bag in back. So I let it go. (And that became the absolute last time I ever listen to the "Take-the-money-and-run"side of my brain where boats are concerned.) Now of course, at my current consistent svelte 175lbs. I miss it.

For a time after that, I thought about getting an RTM/DAG Midway to fulfill my SOT wants. I’d like to find one on the used market, but they’re also almost impossible to find.

PS - Never missed the “TW” 'cause I’ve always been more of a snorkeling and camping guy.

I had a RTM Midway for a few years. Truly loved the boat except for the limited foot room. It was fast, easy to paddle and light (50 lbs.) for a SOT. Unfortunately the sciatic nerve in my right leg hated the boat.

I hear you on that because the molded in feet “wells” are hit or miss for me. The one change/addition in the Swell Scupper 14 that I like (and would benefit from) is the adjustable footpegs vs the usual molded in approach.

sing

South Carolina? I just moved to Little River (north of Myrtle Beach) in case you or Sing ever want to play in the surf here. The water is at about 54 degrees now on Jan 22nd - so i am hoping that is as cold as it gets. (my first winter here)

I am waiting on my Turning Point Petrel Play to get built (end of Feb?) but also have a new Stratos 12.5L here that can accomodate a large range of paddlers and is said to be quite a surf monster.

Cool. Would love to hear your thoughts on those two boats in dynamic water!

sing