Scupper Pro TW Reincarnated!

Scupper 16 computer design.
16’ long 24” wide
Aluminum grab handles
Similar parts as Scupper 12 +14.
Sealect Rudder-controlled
Available ~ August 2023.

1 Like

Well, this computer generated Scupper 16 depiction doesn’t look like a “reincarnation” of the Scupper Pro 14. Besides being longer, the hull shape is less rockered and showing a more “traditional” seakayak hull than the SP 14. I can see this appealing more to paddlers who prefer a bit more speed and tracking.

For me, I am not willing to trade off the more “playful” rockered, “tri-form” hull of the old SP 14 for more a bit of speed.

sing

According to one of the guys working on the design, the SP16 is designed to work with a rudder. Thus not needing the rocker for manauvering the kayak. It may appeal to a wider range of paddlers. Most paddlers go no where near the surf zone or real rough water.

Right, we both agree that the SP 16 is a significantly different (point A to B) boat than the original Scupper Pro, which I think is more of an “all arounder.”

Most paddlers aren’t interested in surfing performance, but I think they should learn or be able to handle more dynamic situations if they venture into bigger bodies of water.

sing

1 Like

The Stratos 12.5L is a very reassuring yet fun boat in the surf for those of us that are too large for a Mega kayak! Good edges, solid primary and carves a nice cutback at the bottom.

Lacks top end speed - so I would consider this mostly a rock gardening boat and good for light surf.

Still waiting on my Petrel Play hybrid!!

Thx for the load down on the Stratus 12. What makes the “hybrid” on the Petrel Play?

sing

Hi Sing.

The deck is clear coat carbon fiber and the hull is basalt/innegra. That hull material is indestructible/light - even better than S-glass. I am throwing a keel strip on it but it should still come in at about 39lbs.

Can’t wait!

1 Like

Wow. Excited for you!

sing

Are you going to Oceans 23, in May? I know Joey; of TPBW, is one of the instructors. Location is at Fort Caswell on Oak Island NC.

Absolutely!! I registered a couple of weeks ago and yes, Joey said he will be there. I will be the guy with the black carbon deck/golden yellow hulled Petrel Play with full black keel strip. Come over and introduce yourself! -Scott

2 Likes

I am signed ups well. Looking forward to it. Most likely paddling my newly acquired Valley Gemini SP. There are a few instructors, I am looking forward to working with. I like instructors who are direct and stay on point. Not into the greatest show on surf. Though many do.

Great - can’t wait to dip a paddle! I owned a plastic Gemini SP and liked it quite a bit so it was a close second choice for me. The composite one has a bit more room too which is better for me at 6’2" x 190 lbs.

I am in no way a “Sing” in the surf - I kludge and slam my way around in the waves though and generally have a great time. My days of surf ski racing are long over!

I will be bringing my Novorca Aleutian paddle to the event to find a buyer for it, too. Ron at Novorca always made the best blades but shipping a 94" paddle is too painful. I had lots of folks at Oceans '22 that liked it alot - so am confident I can find a buyer for it.

I am no Sing or Cape Fear, either. (Cape Fear on this site, runs the Oceans Symposium). Plus I hate cold water. I am a water beater in the surf, at best. I tend to bongo ride, more than actual surfing. But I have fun.

My father used to have a blue Novorca Aleutian paddle. He bought it used on eBay, then re-sold it back to the original owner for a small profit.

Most important rule in surf - be safe to protect yourself and those around you. After that, it’s have fun!!! Doesn’t matter whether you are bongo surfing for a safe surf landing, practicing bracing and/or combat rolling, or getting in a sweet diagonal run, as long as you are feeling the fun factor. If your fear factor is overwhelming the fun, then step back and find another spot, or call it a day. Your gut is telling you something. Listen to it.

sing

1 Like

The area I surf the most, is a zipper-fest. Sloppy surf is routine. Harder to get a long straight ride, than other areas in NC. They are currently dredging the Inlet, for the first time in years. So this year maybe better or worse. I enjoy waves up to about 3-4 ft. I feel comfortable swimming in that, if required. My roll is ~75% in the surf. My biggest swims have been from dragging Go Pros, after the mounts broke. It’s all fun.

Just saw a Scupper Pro 14 come up for sale in Tucson, where I am, if anyone is interested. They’re asking $400 for it.

1 Like

Looks like a Tarpon 160.